talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default I'll Bet Fred West Knows...

Ethan posted in his blog on 12/15/09:

"I sent inquiry letters to both Woodcraft and Lie-Nielsen regarding said recent trip to Woodcraft where I found out they would no longer be carrying the Lie-Nielsen line of tools. Then I went out of town on a work-related trip and wasn't able to check my email for two days. I am now back in town and have received replies from both companies. One of the replies was simply a request to contact them, so I will do so tomorrow before I post any results of my inquiry."

Grey Stone Green: Woodcraft Drops Lie-Nielsen...

Fred, What is the skinny?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Re: I'll Bet Fred West Knows...

Long story short, Fred is right, Tom feels that WC basically pirated Toms designs and had them made in China.
I agree. While his are based on Stanley designs, they're still his improvements, his name, his marketing. And those Stanleys are long out of production. The Woodriver brand stuff, briefly, was displayed side by side in the store next to the LNs.
Though in the end, I doubt this hurts LN much at all. I think its the right call and his clientele will view it as such.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Ron,

I think you are correct. I have noticed in my last two Woodcraft catalogs that the Lie-Nielsen planes are there but they are not shown as "Lie-Nielsen".

I also just went into Woodcraft's website and they are only selling like two models and some replacement blades, probably remnants.

I will still buy them direct from L-N but I miss the opportunity of being able to cuddle them before I make my decision.

Neill
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Ron,
Remember when I bought my Lie-Nielsen plane at Woodcraft (the Madison, WI location) back in October? The sales guy told me then that they wouldn't be getting any more L-N planes and that it was Tom's decision not to supply them to Woodcraft any longer. He (the guy at the store) also wasn't very complimentary to Tom, which I have to say left an exceedingly bad taste in my mouth toward Woodcraft - and was in fact the primary reason I returned the Woodcraft plane I had also purchased. I chose not to share that part of the story at the time because it wasn't public yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 AM

I wonder if that is for all Woodcraft stores? I've developed a really good relationship with the owners of the local Woodcraft here, I will have to ask about it. From my understanding, they owners have quite a bit of say in what they sell at each store. I've been very happy with the store here, as everyone that works there for the most part is extremely knowledgeable in various realms of woodworking. They are the reason I became a Festool junkie.
I understand Tom's decision, but it still makes me sad. I'm a "touch and feel before buying" type of guy, and Woodcraft is the only place around here that sells Lie-Nielsons.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Hopefully Fred or perhaps even a lie-Nielsen official will check in & give us the straight story. Ethan (blog link) is contacting both parties to find if it is/was a Woodcraft decision or a Lie-Nielsen decision or a mutual decision.
In the end I guess it really makes very little difference who/what/why -- we all will loose a little for the decision.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not at liberty to give details, but the posts above have the essence of it. And I applaud Tom for it. He got seriously screwed by Woodcraft (and he's not the only one). This has nothing to do with the management and running of the local stores, and everything to do with the owner of Woodcraft.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'm not at liberty to give details, but the posts above have the essence of it. And I applaud Tom for it. He got seriously screwed by Woodcraft (and he's not the only one). This has nothing to do with the management and running of the local stores, and everything to do with the owner of Woodcraft.
That says it all.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM

I talked to Patrick Jackson @ Lie-Nielsen yesterday to clarify what was going on.

Grey Stone Green: A Chat With Patrick Jackson Of Lie-Nielsen Toolworks...

Contrary to my initial thought (which was just a thought and not anything confirmed by either side), this appears to have nothing to do with Woodriver planes and everything to do with Lie-Nielsen's desire to remain a small business that makes high quality tools by hand.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esincox View Post
I talked to Patrick Jackson @ Lie-Nielsen yesterday to clarify what was going on.

Grey Stone Green: A Chat With Patrick Jackson Of Lie-Nielsen Toolworks...

Contrary to my initial thought (which was just a thought and not anything confirmed by either side), this appears to have nothing to do with Woodriver planes and everything to do with Lie-Nielsen's desire to remain a small business that makes high quality tools by hand.
Thank you very much for the post & clarification Ethan.
I guess we should at least feel good that it was a Lie-Nielsen decision.