talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Default Re: I'll Bet Fred West Knows...

Hi Derek,

The thing is - do any of us think that the chinese company in question simply got it into their heads one day that making planes la LN would be a good business move and then proactively shopped the design around?

Someone sent them those planes to reverse-engineer, and I can almost guarantee you that that 'someone' also gave them a good-faith commitment to buy a fair quantity of the planes to justify the tooling costs. How many possible 'someones' like that do we really think there are in the world?

(nice to see you here, btw)

Raney
Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 AM

Hi Raney

What you suggest makes sense. I wonder if will ever discover the truth.

AS far as I am aware, Woodcraft did not put on sale all the planes that came out of the factory. There were some that were sold via Japan Woodworker (such as the Veritas-clone scraper) and others through a company in the UK (I forget their name at this time), such as the Veritas-clone edge plane. Did Woodcraft offer the LN Boggs-clone spokeshave? It was on offer at Japan Woodworker.

It seems that there was a distribution of tools that Woodcraft were not responsible for. Perhaps I am wrong. I am speculating as much as others (but with just a little extra behind-the-scenes info).

As a follow-up to the thread I reported on the Ubeaut forum (in which I noted the Chinese clones being offered for sale on eBay Australia, and at nearly the same price as a new LN), the Seller contacted me to say that he was planning to sue me for destroying his business. Ha...ha. Can you imagine if it came out in court that he took the low ethical road in his dealings with the woodworking public? That would destroy his business.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 AM

One more wrinkle on all of this. I discussed the whole topic with my local Woodcraft manager on Sunday. He felt their store sold 25K or less in a good year of LN products, but gave a staggering estimate of a store in Washington State that was selling 300K of L-N tools in a good year. Wonder what THAT Woodcraft store's take is on all of this! Can you imagine, suddenly having that product line yanked from you in THIS economy. The Chinese copies are also scary, I didn't know that was going on with the high end plane/tool market. I guess if they'll fake an old Ferrari, someone will fake anything.
All in all, my own worst problem with all of this is the same as others. We were relying on a nearby Woodcraft store to stock L-N tools, so that we were able to see and use the tools while making up our minds about a possible purchase. Now that avenue is basically closed to us, and we're back to staring at an on-line picture and talking to anyone who's close by if we're lucky or also on-line with a forum. Having said that, I still managed yesterday to buy a new L-N scrub plane while my local store still has remaining L-N stock to sell.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Well, Leaky - you've still got us. Feel free to ask away. The odds are you'll get lots of opinions from any question. Especially LN. And Fred....
Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Who makes the Stanley Sweetheart planes?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 AM

I talked with the owner of the local Woodcraft here about this issue a couple days ago. He is not happy about it at all. He has personally been in contact with Lie-Nielsen and is trying to work something out with them. He told me that LN is a major draw for their store, and losing them would be devastating. It sounds like he has made progress with LN and it will actually be a better situation in the end. Up till now, they had to go through the hoops of corporate Woodcraft in order to get things from LN. Now, they will deal directly with them, which means more LN in the store! Of course, that may be quite detrimental to my financial health...
I hope more individual stores tell corporate where to stick it and serve their customers like this.