talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Default Dust Deputy: POS?

A couple of months ago I had a coupon for $15 off at Rockler, so I stopped in and bought a Dust Deputy to use with my CT Mini. I was in the process of sanding my settee, and wanted to try to go through fewer vacuum bags.

Here's what happened:

This was with the suction all the way down to "turtle". Now I know that I can reinforce the lid with mdf the way Ron did. But it just seems kind of crappy to me that in normal use, the lid sucks in on itself. Clearly the dust collection is suboptimal, and there's probably a lot of fine dust getting everywhere, including my lungs. I object.

I'll probably make a lid stiffener out of 1/4" mdf and bolt it on, though I'm not sure the bolts they supply are long enough. But I'm not impressed.

The other thing to notice in the picture is my very clever method for stopping the DD from tipping over during use: I put a piece of duct tape (white, to match the CT and DD) from one side of the CT, around the DD, and back to the other side of the CT. Works great (unlike the DD).

Based on other recommendations, I would have purchased the ClearVu mini cyclone, except that they're being sued by DD for patent breach (though they made it first, apparently...)

Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Dust Deputy: POS?

Peter

I'm confused, if the cover is being sucked down, doesn't that mean that the seal on the DD is tight and all the dust is being directed through the DD into the Mini? Did you experiment with a new bag and the DD and observe both the bag and the bucket to see how much dust the DD was catching?

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

It's not just that the DD cover is being sucked down: it's being collapsed. It doesn't seal properly after it's all bent in, as gaps form at the folds in the lid. It's just not robust enough to resist the suction.

The DD is definitely catching dust. But surely it's not designed to have the lid caved in like that?!?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

The DD is definitely catching dust. But surely it's not designed to have the lid caved in like that?!?
Peter, the DD model I have is made entirely of steel. No problem with collapsing.

Do they not offer that one anymore?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Certainly not at Rockler. I haven't noticed it on their web site, either. Perhaps it would be worth looking around for a metal bucket and lid, and re-mount the cyclone on something sturdier.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM

They still offer the metal one. I didn't purchase the bucket and lid from Oneida; I just used a standard 5 gallon bucket and lid w/o-ring with the plastic DD. At first I had a problem with the bucket sides collapsing, but doubled up the bucket and have not had a problem since. I'm using mine on a CT33, the thing works great and I'm not going through the bags as I once was, greatly reduced by bag budget! As far as the tubing, I just used the large hose from the boom arm and use either the 27mm or 36mm hose, depending on the task at hand. One tip for the plastic DD, make sure you continue the conductivity between the anti-static hoses or you'll get zapped! I used a short piece of wire with crimp on eye ends (sorry can't remember the correct term) and just slip that between the hose and DD inlet/outlet. Never been zapped since!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Certainly not at Rockler. I haven't noticed it on their web site, either. Perhaps it would be worth looking around for a metal bucket and lid, and re-mount the cyclone on something sturdier.
Peter, I'll post a photo of mine when I get home. As I recall, it's about the same size as yours, only all steel.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

John, it isn't the Dust Deputy that's collapsing it's the bucket lid. Shame on Oneida if they imply that a flat plastic lid is suitable by itself. (shame on them for suing Clear Vue too)

I recall reading a post at FOG that said cyclones need more air flow than you get through a sander alone. In that case you need a gate (or hole in the hose) to allow more air into the cyclone so the debris moves fast enough to spin down to the reservoir. And, the vac needs to be on high speed Peter.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM

Here's a link to Oneida's website that shows the steel, plastic and new larger steel units:
Oneida Air Systems - Dust Deputy Systems

Is the inlets and outlets on the steel DD tapered? I know the plastic DD is. I thought somewhere I read that the steel DD inlet and outlet were not.

Last edited by bobbobbob; 12-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

John, it isn't the Dust Deputy that's collapsing it's the bucket lid. Shame on Oneida if they imply that a flat plastic lid is suitable by itself. (shame on them for suing Clear Vue too)

I recall reading a post at FOG that said cyclones need more air flow than you get through a sander alone. In that case you need a gate (or hole in the hose) to allow more air into the cyclone so the debris moves fast enough to spin down to the reservoir. And, the vac needs to be on high speed Peter.
Every is metal on mine, the cyclone, the lid, and the bucket. Very sturdy.

Grainger sells steel barrels of just about every size, maybe that's an option for Peter.

And yes, for a cyclone to operate properly you have to have a good balance between air speed and air volume. On a relatively small capacity machine like a CT, even a small increase in volume will reduce to the speed quite a bit.

Last edited by joraft; 12-16-2009 at 03:56 PM.