Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default Stanley Works to buy Black & Decker

Associated Press

November 3, 2009

Chicago - The toolmaker Stanley Works is buying rival Black & Decker Corp. for $4.5 billion, uniting two of their industry's most iconic brands.

The deal would create the largest U.S. toolmaker, Morningstar analyst Anthony Dayrit said.

Stanley Works' brands include its Stanley tools line and FatMax, Bostitch and Mac Tools, which are used on cars. In addition to its namesake line, Black & Decker owns the DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Kwikset and Baldwin brands.

Dayrit said space remains for smaller toolmakers that make up most of the industry.

"These guys will still be competitive because you have consumers that won't be willing to pay up for the quality of a Black & Decker tool," he said.

So, are we all just waiting for the day when we can afford to move up to the quality of a Black & Decker tool?

Last edited by joraft; 11-05-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Stanley Works to buy Black & Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

Dayrit said space remains for smaller toolmakers that make up most of the industry.

"These guys will still be competitive because you have consumers that won't be willing to pay up for the quality of a Black & Decker tool," he said.
My bet is that he was misquoted: This makes more sense:

Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! If you're not willing to pay for the quality of a Black and Decker tool, what are you willing to pay for?

A stick?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I knew I shouldn't have sold all my B&D in a garage sale 20 years ago. I had no idea they are so valuable.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

I knew I shouldn't have sold all my B&D in a garage sale 20 years ago. I had no idea they are so valuable.
Home Depot is running a deal right now, 15% off any B&D drill with any old drill (working or not) for a trade in. I'm heading down there today to trade in my T15 +3.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

I think I just popped a neuron reading that post, John. Ouch!

Don't you have, like, 25 DW drivers that you could trade in? You could then resell the B&D's at full cost and make some dough...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM

I tried starting a rumor the other day that B&D was buying Festool. New company name would be Black and Fester.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

And how is that rumor doing, Michael?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM

well, Pop Wood and FW have not picked it up yet, so, not so well....
Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeCityMike View Post
I tried starting a rumor the other day that B&D was buying Festool. New company name would be Black and Fester.
Of course the new tools will be black & green, perhaps with the logo printed on a band-aid...