talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Default The best tool you've probably never heard of

No I'm not lost. :p

Anybody familiar with the Wolf Head sander? Almost no info out there that I could find.

But Wow. Expensive but very worth it. Figured you could relate.

It's a great flap sander, the sandpaper is backed by brushes for support. And the sandpaper rolls up and stores inside the unit. As it wears you let out more paper.

Great for sanding moldings...breaking the edges without marring the profile. I put off this purchase for a long time, regrettably. Thought I'd share.

link
Old 11-05-2009, 04:16 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: The best tool you've probably never heard of

What size did you get?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:21 PM

I got the 4 inch wide, 16 brush I think. They come various widths and either 12 or 16 brush versions.

Hope I'm not being too forward recommending a product. No connection to the maker or distributor... I think they have been known to industry types for years. Just curious that even a google search comes up with almost nothing... so I assumed, as I hadn't heard of them that others probably haven't either.

My (new )camera is due back from the shop today. I'll snap picture of mine. Really cool and super heavy duty.

I use it to ease the edges. One of my least favorite jobs in the shop was sanding moldings. This makes quick painless work of it.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

No problem linking to good stuff here Craig. In fact, the policy seems to be the bigger 'n badder and more expensive it is the quicker you should post a link.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
Hope I'm not being too forward recommending a product.
Craig,

Most of us spend a fair amount of time trying to solve some issue or another. At tF, it would be difficult to be "too forward" in recommending a good product with which you have experience!

Linking? Go for it! Links, pics, videos, and drawings are great for explanations. If it improves communications, it's allowed!

Regards,

Dan.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I certainly had never heard of it. I'm thinking it might be just the thing for sanding the curved chair-seat cutouts I made on the settee...
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 AM

Here it is mounted on my sand-rite.

and here is the load of paper rolled up inside. It's about 18" long.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
Here it is mounted on my sand-rite.

and here is the load of paper rolled up inside. It's about 18" long.

Craig,

That is really awesome. How much sandpaper do you load up in there and how long does it last? I did not check but does the link you gave give the pricing on this? Also, any chance we can get any pictures or video of it in use?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 AM

Craig,

I want one!

But I'd hate to be tacky, what did you pay for it?

I perused their website, didn't see a price-list.

Perhaps it's pass my bedtime and I didn't see it.

Also, what's the cost of the refill roll & what grit did you get?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I looked at several flap sanding wheels and saw that one, or a reasonable knock-off. My question is: can I use it to sand a molding without overly rounding any corners? In my specific case, it isn't a routed molding, but one made by random gouges with a power-chisel (think of more extreme hand-scraped look). Thanks!