talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 AM

Default Clamps!

One can never have enough of them!
Problem is, good clamps usually cost a good amount of cash...
No problem if you only have to buy one, but of course, one alone doesn't get you far...
I like to buy good quality tools. Tools that will last and I can trust. Nothing worse then working on a one of a kind project and because of a cheap tool you will get some marks, scratches or other mistakes as a result!

I currently only own a couple of good bessy revo clamps, some quick grips, festool clamps and other no name useless clamps. The bessy work well and I can highly recommend them. I would like to get more of them but at over $60/piece it's just not going to happen...

Therefore I need to look for some other brands I can trust.

Here in Canada we have a store called Canadian Tire ( don't ask me where that name comes from...) they sell everything, from Car batteries to coffee makers to clamps. Most of that stuff is crap.....
Anyhow, 3 years ago, I bought a couple of these clamps from them:
Mastercraft Quick Set Bar Clamp | Canadian Tire
I use them almost every day in our shop. And they are still going strong!
So today I went there and picked up 10 of them. A couple more, but different lengths, tomorrow.

What type of clamps are you using? Any recommendations? Build your own?

Cheers,
Andreas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:44 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Clamps!

The next clamps you should buy are Craig's Bowlamps. Especially good if you have a limited supply of clamps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 AM

Pony's and Jorgie's around here...
Sorry Andreas Not a fan of Crappy Tire

Mirko
Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I like the strength and simplicity of the Bessey Tradesman.

Below is the newer larger style.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 AM

I agree with Michael, order the bow-clamps.
and with Mirko, stay away form the junk.

As far as base clamps most of mine are the old style Besseys either Tradesman or K-bodiesand a bunch of 6 -7 footer Revos, . ,,,,,,,, and yes I have others, but not to take the place of the Bessey's, for other tasks......(I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow.) If you need length Bessey has extensions that tie two of them together...... 6+6=12

Keep in mind that there are sales (at least state side) at times, so I'm always adding. I have two complete sets of the Bow-Clamps in 3 sizes and I use all of them, and I can't wait to order more. Any major project is a reason to add more. (just figure the additions into your project costs)

Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post

Any major project is a reason to add more. (just figure the additions into your project costs)

I know alot of us do this but isnt it a bit dishonest? Are they really going to save 3 hours of clamping time on a project? Maybe spread it out over 2 to 3 projects as to not penalize that lucky client for having picked you in a time of bowclamp need.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
I know alot of us do this but isnt it a bit dishonest? Are they really going to save 3 hours of clamping time on a project? Maybe spread it out over 2 to 3 projects as to not penalize that lucky client for having picked you in a time of bowclamp need.

Eiji,

There's nothing wrong with adding misc tool costs to a project.
Whether it's a special router bit that one has made for a specific project, or the cost of a special jig that you may or may not use in the future. If you need a specific tool for a project and you leave room in your budget it is not dishonest. Then again I'm talking about bidding out on projects, not working on time and materials, that's a different matter and then you would be correct.
.....and 99.9 percent of the time bided projects always seem to take longer, so it all balances out in the long run.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 10-28-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

My experience is from a different world and it is absolutely common to figure in (perishable and special) tooling costs when quoting work. It's the only way you are going to make money if you get the job. Even on time & material jobs as long as you make the job requirements clear up front.

I watch for sales on Bessey Revos and Tradesman clamps & add a couple to my collection now and then. The BowClamps are on my wish list which I should move them up the list because they reduce clamp requirements.
At some point I intend to build a set of the "York" clamps for glue-ups (Okamisan recommended).

I did a site search -- Canadian Tire does also sell tires.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Old 10-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post

I agree with Michael, order the bow-clamps.
and with Mirko, stay away form the junk.

As far as base clamps most of mine are the old style Besseys either Tradesman or K-bodiesand a bunch of 6 -7 footer Revos, . ,,,,,,,, and yes I have others, but not to take the place of the Bessey's, for other tasks......(I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow.) If you need length Bessey has extensions that tie two of them together...... 6+6=12

Keep in mind that there are sales (at least state side) at times, so I'm always adding. I have two complete sets of the Bow-Clamps in 3 sizes and I use all of them, and I can't wait to order more. Any major project is a reason to add more. (just figure the additions into your project costs)

Bow clamps are a nice idea if you are gluing up panels. I'm not doing that too often. I usually only need clamps to assist in assembling cabinets and bed frames. Therefore, they are too limited in their use for me.

I totally agree, stay away from crap. But these clamps are really not bad! As I said before, I used some of them almost every day in our shop and they are still working great!

Mirko: I will see if anyone in Victoria has the pony brand. Thanks for the tip.