talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 AM

Default about that new Saw Vice, as seen at WIA . . .

Michael, Fred, Peter & John,

I'm curious if any of you happened to have taken a look at the new saw vise with its cam locking device from the "Tools for Working Wood" over at WIA.

Although the design of the vise was geared towards holding a saw while sharpening, . . . a noble pursuit,
I would personally see myself using the vise more for holding sheet metal, very thin brass (up to 7 3/8" wide - I asked) or very thin aircraft ply
in order to apply/form a decorative edge to either of them.

Comments, opinions?

,,,,,r

p.s. other alternate uses . . .
> use as a break to bend/fold short pieces of sheet-metal or brass
> use to hold veneer pieces to fine tune with sandpaper /file intended to be use for inlay work. (care should be taken to tighten carefully)

The Gramercy Tools 14 Saw Vise at Tools for Working Wood

Joel's Blog at Tools for Working Wood

First photos of the new Gramercy Tools saw vise | Sandal Woods Fine Woodworking & Cabinetry

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 10-15-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: about that new Saw Vice, as seen at WIA . . .

I was very impressed with the saw vice. Tim and Joel designed it but I think it was primarily Tim's work. Unless he has a lot of metal stamping experience he must have had some help from the fabricator because it is a very sophisticated use of stamped sheet metal. Cold rolled from appearance but it could be hot rolled that's been blasted later.

I think it is very handsome in it's material transparency and brilliant in technical design. It's just some sheets of steel punched, stamped, and riveted and it fairly efficiently transfers a twisting force to a pinching force 8 inches away. Traditional saw clamps are made of several pieces of cast iron.

And it works, although I didn't actually test it's chatter resistance. I'd assume that was one of the prime criteria and if it didn't pass they wouldn't have shown it.

It could work as a break for thin sheet metal and a clamp for veneer. It's 14" capacity is greater than other saw clamps at least in the width of the jaws. It's about 2 inches wider than my old cast iron clamp.

For fine adjustment of clamping pressure you might want to ease the edges of the spiral groove the pivot arm bears against and maybe add a little grease. I don't think that would cause the clamp to loosen unexpectedly but...

I read Joel's blog, "It's made out of very thick, ordinary, mild steel."

They got the design from an old Wentworth vise, the important features being that the vise is bolted high up to a bench so there isn't much cantilevered length from the anchor to the jaws. The camming twist clamp feature is also derived from the Wentworth.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 10-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Great design, I wish I could think of enough uses to justify the purchase. Maybe I could learn to sharpen saws & hang out a shingle in the neighborhood...
Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 AM

I helped Joel and Tim out in their booth at the show, and spent a lot of time with the vise. It is easily the best saw vise I've ever used. And yes - Tim is a whip-sharp designer. In terms of the other uses Roger was asking about, I think it would work very well for most of those applications with one serious caveat - the maximum opening of the vise is relatively narrow; I don't know exactly how wide it was, but I'd guess something on the order of 1/8 - 3/16". So as long as you're working with relatively thin sheet metals.

As for veneer work, I'm not sure it would be the best tool for that as it would be really hard to fit a sub-jaw to it, and I'm not sure the jaws as-is wouldn't do some damage to veneer. I think you might be able to work veneer as long as it was sandwiched with some thin barrier material, but I can think of other ways I'd prefer to work veneer.

Hope that helps...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Founding Member

The camming arrangement at the bottom is interesting. How smoothly does that lever work? Is the pivot just a slightly loose rivet, or something more elaborate?

I'm also curious about how the cam surface is created. It'd have to be fairly smooth. Does it appear to be machined?

The sheet metal vise as a successor to a cast iron design reminds me of pistol and submachine gun designs that replaced machined-from-solid components with artfully stamped metal when, uh, pressures on the manufacturers* forced them to find alternate solutions.

Ned

* The pressures were usually bombs dropped on the factory.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post
The camming arrangement at the bottom is interesting. How smoothly does that lever work? Is the pivot just a slightly loose rivet, or something more elaborate?

I'm also curious about how the cam surface is created. It'd have to be fairly smooth. Does it appear to be machined?

The sheet metal vise as a successor to a cast iron design reminds me of pistol and submachine gun designs that replaced machined-from-solid components with artfully stamped metal when, uh, pressures on the manufacturers* forced them to find alternate solutions.

Ned

* The pressures were usually bombs dropped on the factory.
I think the pivot is just a rivet. The motion is a little stiff but should get easier when the square edges soften.

"For fine adjustment of clamping pressure you might want to ease the edges of the spiral groove the pivot arm bears against and maybe add a little grease. I don't think that would cause the clamp to loosen unexpectedly but..."
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 PM

Am I the only one that looks at that and thinks "really big jointmaker pro" ??
Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently, yes.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:39 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Apparently, yes.
You beat me to that answer.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Am I the only one that looks at that and thinks "really big jointmaker pro" ??
Tim,,,,,

I'm not a psychologist, but I believe you're experiencing withdrawal anxiety, which leads to delusions - after having sold your JMP.
You shipped it out last week, didn't you.?
,,,,,r

Tags
saw vise