talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default The Travelling Marcou

I think my Marcou S20A made more friends at the show then the rest of us put together:

Konrad Sauer (SauerandSteiner.com)takes a look

Konrad gives it a try (Bob Marino in the background).

Bob seemed just a little too interested in the S20A, so we were keeping an eye on him.

Fred had to try out the biggest plane Konrad ever made.
He wouldn't be specific, but we got the idea that Konrad would make you one of these for around $10,000.

Massive!

"Massive" with his baby brother.

Ron Brese (BresePlane.com) gives the S20A a look over. Thats' Father John Abraham (Jameel's brother) looking on.

Ron's test drive.

Jameel Abraham (BenchCrafted.com) checking out the Marcou.

Another test drive.

Joel Moskowitz (ToolsforWorkingWood.com/looks the Marcou over. He's a huge Sauer & Steiner fan and had little good to say about the Marcou.

Last edited by joraft; 10-07-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:17 AM

Default Re: The Travelling Marcou

Great shots and even better title!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Great pics, John! Thanks. It was fun seeing your Marcou getting pimped around by you and Fred. I wish I'd been there to hear what Joel thought was wrong with your plane. Something about being toe heavy? I kind of like a heavy toe, as it helps to start the plane off the edge of the board.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Fred my man, you need to get a little sunshine!

By the way, that relatively swarthy looking guy next to Fred is my Festool ISA Bob Marino. In this shot Bob is calculating how many TS 55s that long plane represents.

The number is twenty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could set them all out in four stacks of five columns to support your plywood instead of a table. Oh wait, a Sys 4 is 12" high so the plywood would be 5 feet high. Stacks of 3 Systainers would be more convenient. That would make six stacks so the plywood could be supported in the middle too. That leaves just two TS 55 Systainers left over but you can use one of the saws to cut the plywood and use the other for a stool.

Or, you could spend the money on a really long hand plane.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 AM

I did hear one bit of constructive criticism from Joel that I agree with. Joel said Phillip's logo/label should be an engraving on the knob instead of the plastic insert, which isn't in keeping with the material and workmanship in the plane itself.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 AM

that Bob Marino fella sure looks serious in those pics...maybe not enough festool

I reckon that Marcou makes all the other planes look silly I know which I'd like to have.
Wait until next year, I'm going to present to them my old No.5 Bailey, show them how to make some long curlies

Mr Sauer's big plane looks like a beast. It's got a kind of Gothic feel about it.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Fred my man, you need to get a little sunshine!

By the way, that relatively swarthy looking guy next to Fred is my Festool ISA Bob Marino. In this shot Bob is calculating how many TS 55s that long plane represents.

The number is twenty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could set them all out in four stacks of five columns to support your plywood instead of a table. Oh wait, a Sys 4 is 12" high so the plywood would be 5 feet high. Stacks of 3 Systainers would be more convenient. That would make six stacks so the plywood could be supported in the middle too. That leaves just two TS 55 Systainers left over but you can use one of the saws to cut the plywood and use the other for a stool.

Or, you could spend the money on a really long hand plane.
Michael,

I hate to tell you but that IS my tan look. Now, I do sleep in a coffin but I do not think that means anything, do you?

Vamp Man
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 10-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
that Bob Marino fella sure looks serious in those pics...maybe not enough festool

I reckon that Marcou makes all the other planes look silly I know which I'd like to have.
Wait until next year, I'm going to present to them my old No.5 Bailey, show them how to make some long curlies

Mr Sauer's big plane looks like a beast. It's got a kind of Gothic feel about it.
Okami,

I could not agree with you more about the Marcou. It is just gorgeous and flies through wood and as Peter said and John and I both said at the show, we like the toe heavy feel as it very much helps when starting the plane especially in hard or highly figured wood.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Okami,

I could not agree with you more about the Marcou. It is just gorgeous and flies through wood and as Peter said and John and I both said at the show, we like the toe heavy feel as it very much helps when starting the plane especially in hard or highly figured wood.

Fred
The balance of a plane is a slightly different issue but...I asked Chris Schwarz about the position of the blade in the sole and he thought in the old days of solid wood planes the blade was pretty much in the middle. Stanley moved it forward but whether that was simply to make room for the frog and tote or some other reason...?

Asian planes have a very long toe compared to the heal. Registration of the sole to the work is very secure at the beginning of the stroke but the short heal means the end of the stroke could be a little wobbly if your motion isn't strong and consistent. When describing Japanese planes Toshio Odate said the heal of the Japanese smoother is actually slightly relieved and doesn't touch the work. Heavy planes like the Marcou have enough inertia to minimize wobbliness at the end of the stroke but with the long heal that isn't a concern. Maybe Asian style planes should be made of metal? Maybe western style planes should have a longer toe?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

These are really interesting thoughts, Michael. I wish I could make planes so that we could experiment. Do you happen to know anyone who could build a few prototypes