talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Bench cookies

I just ordered a bunch of those $12 "Bench Cookies" are biggest news at AWFS - Fine Woodworking

So far I was using anti slip mats for sanding and assembly, but wrecked quite a few of them in the past as they rip quite easy. The last one was even sucked into the beltsander... what a mess

Anyhow, I'm hoping that those cookies will be as strong as they are advertised!

Anyone using them already?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bench cookies

I know that Fred's interested in them - he put me on to them. They look pretty cool. Sold at Rockler...
Old 07-25-2009, 06:01 PM

I'm concerned that Woodcraft will be making cheap chinese knockoffs of these in the near future using substandard rubber.

gd&r
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM

DANG! They look handy! I have wanted that capability many times. I just ordered some. I could find a way to bake my own but for the price it would not be worth doing by the time I glue anti slip matting to wood blocks etc.

Seth
Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Jeez, now I have to order these !

This guy did a video review ,,,,,,,

Old 07-27-2009, 03:47 PM

Thanks for posting the video Roger, I was a little skeptical about these things but they look like might be the real deal.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

That last pass with the router was kind of strange. I didn't have the sound on, so I don't know if he was describing what he was doing, but it didn't look like he was taking much off, and doing a climb cut. Still, they look like useful things.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM

I've used non-slip mats before, and they left an imprint on the wood. I didn't realise until the finish was onFor that reason, I never use them. It was a solid wood bench that it marked. I still have it.
If these cookies are made from the same non-slip material, they may well mark too.
Cheers
Okami
Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That last pass with the router was kind of strange. I didn't have the sound on, so I don't know if he was describing what he was doing, but it didn't look like he was taking much off, and doing a climb cut. Still, they look like useful things.

Yup, he was climb cutting either very shallow or not adjusted in at all. Just to clean up / smooth the profile. That way the final pass is not "lifting" the wood fibers.

Seth