talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default LEIGH FMT

I got interested in the Leigh FMT jig when I saw how nice the joints looked on Okami's table (Beautiful!).
Leigh has a great deal going until July 31 on the FMT, throwing in about $330. of accessories as long as it's purchased from one of the dealers listed on their website.
The bad news is there doesn't seem to be any available anywhere. The good news is when I called Leigh the lady says that as long as it's ordered before July 31 they will honor the deal. The order confirmation needs to be mailed in along with the sales receipt. I ordered one & it is supposed to arrive August 7.

Leigh Industries - Joining Tradition With Today

...and in discussion with the nice lady at Leigh she mentioned that shortly after the special ends there is a price increase coming.

Last edited by RONWEN; 07-16-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added info.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Re: LEIGH FMT

Ron, while I don't own one, that little thing has sorely tempted me for some time. I know a guy with a cabinet shop who uses one and he just snickers at how easy it is to use, especially when it comes to compound angle work like you'd get on a chair. Guess its the cat's meow. Good on ya.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 AM

I have one and think it is great! Although, now that I have a Domino I use it less but would not consider getting rid of it.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 AM

Good onya Ron
It is a little beauty.
If You have a very small space, and no money (like me) but still need accuracy and speed, it can't be beat.
It takes no space at all, just need a router and away You go
Like Mr Weber said, if You have a few chairs to make that require a compound angle, it's a breeze, and the finish is A1

When I made that table, I used the FMT to make the joiney for the legs and aprons. The long aprons were about 1.8meters long, so I had to put the table the FMT sits on, on top of my workbench. That's the only downside to the FMT, if You want to use it for big heavy work, You'll have to use your loaf a bit more.
All in all you can't go wrong with it
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 AM

Hey Ron,

About the wedges in the table.
First make the mortice and tenon. mark off where you want to wedge the tenon. Draw a line. about 1/3rd from the shoulder of the tenon, drill a small hole straight through (this will stop the wedge splitting the tenon) cut to the line that you made on the tenon, cut to the hole.
Make the wedge, glue the tenon in, clamp it. Put some glue on the wedge, bang it home and remove the clamp. Very strong joint.

My workbench is through tenons and wedged, but the wedges are on the sides, and cut at an angle. Very strong joint
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Hey Okamisan,
Thanks for the advice. I like to hear advice from everyone, but I actually follow advice from true artisans like yourself.
That's a good tip of drilling the cross hole through the tenon to prevent splitting.
I admired the table you posted so I figure if I buy an FMT I'll automatically be as good... I'll still use my Domino a bunch but those through tenons really add to the appearance. The ease of doing compound angle tenons is a big plus also.
I do have limited space in my shop so a handy jig like the FMT really helps save space. Sooner or later I may have to break down & build another shop but it's just so handy if I want to go in the shop at 3:00 in the morning & work in my skivvies I can do it. If I build a shop I'd have to get all dressed (in the winter at least) & go outside to the shop and heat it up as well.
I'll look forward to seeing more posts of your work.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Hey Okamisan,
Thanks for the advice. I like to hear advice from everyone, but I actually follow advice from true artisans like yourself.
That's a good tip of drilling the cross hole through the tenon to prevent splitting.
I admired the table you posted so I figure if I buy an FMT I'll automatically be as good... I'll still use my Domino a bunch but those through tenons really add to the appearance. The ease of doing compound angle tenons is a big plus also.
I do have limited space in my shop so a handy jig like the FMT really helps save space. Sooner or later I may have to break down & build another shop but it's just so handy if I want to go in the shop at 3:00 in the morning & work in my skivvies I can do it. If I build a shop I'd have to get all dressed (in the winter at least) & go outside to the shop and heat it up as well.
I'll look forward to seeing more posts of your work.
I'd put on an apron when routing tenons
Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I'd put on an apron when routing tenons
...More good advice from someone who's opinion I respect.