talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Re: T-Minus 2 days until...

This is probably not the answer you want to hear but the solution to your "rip" issue is the Byrnes Model Machines - Table Saw. This is one amazing modelers table saw. I've had mine now for about 3 years, it's one of the tools that "saved" me when I built my Ark project. (FWW- Furniture-102 Contemporary Designs & Design Book Eight) ,,,,, for cutting rips in 1/8" & 1/4" re-sawed Acacia/Koa up to eight feet long.(with the right set-up) The height capacity is about one inch. Read the two reviews that are linked to Jim's website. Keep in mine that this saw was designed with model shipbuilders in mind and they only do straight cuts,,,, the saw blade does not tilt,,,, as it is always at a perfect 90. If you would want angled rips my suggestion would be to make your first cuts at a 90 then double face tape down an angled shim to the angle you want, the length of the table top out of a hardwood .......then wax it.
This is also amazingly quiet to the point you forget that it is on!
Important to keep in mind, Depending on Jim's order flow, there could be a waitlist.

This saw along with the Jointmaker Pro make a great duet.

I'm sure we will talk more about it.

cheers,
,,,,,,r

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I notice that the maximum depth of cut on the Byrnes saw is 15/16" which should be OK for most size drum staves. I sketched a hypothetical 16" diameter (15" I.D.) drum just to see what the segments would look like. You just wouldn't want to make the "angled shim" too thick near the saw blade.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 16 INCH DIA DRUM STAVE.PDF (29.2 KB, 190 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM

VERY cool tools for small projects for sure! Shame the table saw doesn't tilt but the shim idea would work. Their other stuff looks really good too, thanks for the heads up on a company I hadn't heard of!

Now I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope I don't get forgotten about again today!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:36 AM

Ok... cool darn saw. Took me about 30 minutes to really get the tables adjusted the way I liked them as far as getting the slop out without making it too tight to slide back and forth. Thought I had them at one point but when I put the fence on it didn't cooperate so I had to try again. They're not kidding when they say the wood that comes off this is finish sanded and ready to go. I'm blown away with how smooth the cut is.

Oh and to top it off they threw in the instructions for me, the original welcome letter for folks buying a JMP, etc. Very considerate considering I bought it from a 3rd party. Sucks though... that means I'll be spending more money over at BCT
Old 07-18-2009, 04:16 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Ok... cool darn saw. Took me about 30 minutes to really get the tables adjusted the way I liked them as far as getting the slop out without making it too tight to slide back and forth. Thought I had them at one point but when I put the fence on it didn't cooperate so I had to try again. They're not kidding when they say the wood that comes off this is finish sanded and ready to go. I'm blown away with how smooth the cut is.

Oh and to top it off they threw in the instructions for me, the original welcome letter for folks buying a JMP, etc. Very considerate considering I bought it from a 3rd party. Sucks though... that means I'll be spending more money over at BCT
They are truly first class people.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the JMP, Tim. Now you have to show us how to use it!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post

Worthless
Old 07-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Haha... I know... me without pictures?! I'm hoping to have time this weekend to plane down some maple I have laying around and take some swipes at building a few segment rings. Unfortunately I've got a full weekend planned with family coming in town, etc so we'll see what I can get done. Guess that means getting off my rear end and getting out there... As for teaching anyone, I'm a LONG way off from that.

9:30.... not tooooo early to go wake the neighbors with the sound of planing I suppose.