talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: T-Minus 2 days until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Man I live in the south... that's the only way cars around here know how to turn. Ain't you seen Nascar?

I have received a package as late as 8pm but I have my doubts he's coming back around. Had the JMP out and ready to receive it's first blade too. Got the sucker all straightened out with my Wixey angle gauge and had a couple scrap pieces of Wenge I was going to just saw for fun. At least I got my little squares and a drum kit I need to ship out to Australia tomorrow. That was more of a concern anyways I suppose. Still just ticked I have this new toy I can't use

Oh I have the tracking number... thus the quoted bit about when it went out for delivery at 5 this morning lol EXCELLENT point on the UPS screw up resulting in me owning it in the first place lol
I guess the "no left turns" rule saves them millions in fuel.

They also have a rule about bringing packages back into the terminal but I'm sure there are ways to cheat on that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Had the JMP out and ready to receive it's first blade too. Got the sucker all straightened out with my Wixey angle gauge and had a couple scrap pieces of Wenge I was going to just saw for fun.
,,,,keep in mind that until you get your rhythm going there is a learning curve on using the JMP for the first time.
I might go for a softer wood than Wenge for the first time around. There are several ways to trash a blade,,, see my review on the JMP I did a while back.

If you haven't seen it go to Johns Blog at http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/...-saw/page/2/go then go to the July 9th entry for instructions on how to access it.

,,,,,,,,r
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 AM

Oh I've read your review... You're probably right on the wood choice. Though my plan is to take very very small cuts until I get the rhythm down that everyone has talked about. I've got some scrap poplar around here too that will fit the bill I suppose. With such a thin blade I'll probably start overly cautious and work my way up. Pretty good bet I'll trash at least 1 or 2 once I get comfortable. Pretty much spent the past couple months reading up on using it so that once the blades got back in stock I'd be ready to do some experimenting. Reading can only get you so far though so I'm ready to put my hands on it.

In fact... my post at the bottom of your review was how they discovered that I had purchased one under the radar.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:42 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

So if the Jointmaker Pro won't do well on ripping the long stave segments for your drums, you could make some really interesting looking drums by making the segments about 1" to 2" long at the correct angle for whatever diameter drum you are making then glue up say 5 layers of those drum "rings" and in turn glue those together. I don't know how the tone would sound with all of those glue joints but it would look really great!
If you think strength would be an issue, put the stave segments together with tenons using your new Domino.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Hahaha... No funky jointing necessary. Truthfully in a stave drum the joints are the strongest part of the drum. When you have a failure it's generally cracking along the wood from using wood that is less than stable.

You basically described a segment shell... Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
t-minus-2-days-until-santos-mahogany-3.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Apparently the number of joints doesn't have a negative effect on the tone of the drum?
I would think making those stave segments should be a piece of cake on the Jointmaker Pro but Roger would be able to answer from experience.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Yea that's the segment building I was saying should work great with it. The glue lines should be pretty darn tight if I do my part right. With a "stave" drum you've gotta make 6-7" long cuts with the grain and I don't know that it's the right tool for that particular job. Especially considering you're limited to the width (or length in this case) of your stock.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yea that's the segment building I was saying should work great with it. The glue lines should be pretty darn tight if I do my part right. With a "stave" drum you've gotta make 6-7" long cuts with the grain and I don't know that it's the right tool for that particular job. Especially considering you're limited to the width (or length in this case) of your stock.
Question ,,,,

On your rip cuts, what's your average length of cut and the maximum height?

Is it 6-7 inches long and about 3/4 thick?

,,,,,r

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 07-17-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM

That'd be it... for snare drums the maximum length you'd usually have is around 8" tops. Material thickness is between 3/4-1". I'm sure you could get the blade angle such that it's doable but man that's a lot of work lol
Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
That'd be it... for snare drums the maximum length you'd usually have is around 8" tops. Material thickness is between 3/4-1". I'm sure you could get the blade angle such that it's doable but man that's a lot of work lol
Keeping in mind you will be cutting on an angle depending on how many staves your length of cut could be ~1-1/4".