talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Re: T-Minus 2 days until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Speaking of deliveries, I just got delivery of a new tool chest: Costco - 26" Tool Chest and Roller Cabinet Combo

Should be a nice new home for my Bridge City tools. Keep them from scratching each other...
Peter,,,,

a couple of thoughts on the subject,,,,,

I have a couple of those puppies from when Costco was selling them in stainless steel. You might think of bracing it to the wall in the event of one of those shakers we get in SoCal every-once in a while. In fact every time I leave the shop I lock the cabinet,,,,, not for the obvious reason,,,,, but if a shaker does come in a certain direction all those drawers will shoot out like a torpedo launch.
( I speak from experience, years ago when I had a shop in Santa Monica,,,,, the Northridge earthquake hit and I had a similar but not so sexy set up and they all shot out and tipped over,,,,,, only needs to happen once!)

now that I got you paranoid,,,, Congratulations on your new cabinet.

hmmm, all that new room,,,,, you better start ordering more tools!

cheers,
,,,,,,,r

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yes - I was bummed that I missed the Stainless Steel ones. I'm kicking myself for thinking that $650 was too much for a tool chest. Man - what a deal that was!

Actually, if you saw my shop you'd realize that I don't need to buy more tools to fill it. I have things sitting all over the place.

Good advice on the drawer locking. A funny story about drawers: I do a lot of work on ships (not cruise ships!). You have to tie everything down, as you never know when that huge wave is going to hit (and they do, frequently).

I was on a cruise (my first), out on Brown's Bank in the Gulf of Maine. In February. Stormy! Curiously, though the seas were high, the weather was fairly nice. I was sitting in my cabin reading a book, and I had the porthole open. All of a sudden, the ship pitched forward, and all the drawers on my desk opened. Then the ship rolled to one side (the side with my porthole), and a huge wave shot through the open porthole. The water landed perfectly in my open drawer, leaving nary a drop of water anywhere, except the top drawer. Then the ship pitched up, and the drawers all slammed shut. Except for a drawer full of water, you'd never have known anything had happened!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Yes - I was bummed that I missed the Stainless Steel ones. I'm kicking myself for thinking that $650 was too much for a tool chest. Man - what a deal that was!

Actually, if you saw my shop you'd realize that I don't need to buy more tools to fill it. I have things sitting all over the place.

Good advice on the drawer locking. A funny story about drawers: I do a lot of work on ships (not cruise ships!). You have to tie everything down, as you never know when that huge wave is going to hit (and they do, frequently).

I was on a cruise (my first), out on Brown's Bank in the Gulf of Maine. In February. Stormy! Curiously, though the seas were high, the weather was fairly nice. I was sitting in my cabin reading a book, and I had the porthole open. All of a sudden, the ship pitched forward, and all the drawers on my desk opened. Then the ship rolled to one side (the side with my porthole), and a huge wave shot through the open porthole. The water landed perfectly in my open drawer, leaving nary a drop of water anywhere, except the top drawer. Then the ship pitched up, and the drawers all slammed shut. Except for a drawer full of water, you'd never have known anything had happened!

That's amazing, something you might see in a comedy movie!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:31 PM

That reminds me... gotta get my tool box out of my parents storage place now that I cleaned up and have room for it. Going to be weird for me to have woodworking tools in it though. Typically the only tools I had were my TopTul stuff for working on Subarus.

Oh and btw... Can the UPS truck just get here already... It's friggen 6:30!

Quote:
CHARLOTTE , NC , US 07/16/2009 5:24 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
This guy drives slow!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 PM

I just watched the UPS truck drive right by...............
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post

It's only Thursday. You'll get it in time to play this weekend.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 AM

[ whine ] But I want it NOOOOWWWWWW [ /whine ]

I've been waiting 2 months for the blades to get in stock.... Unfriggen believable lol
Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:

Maybe he'll be back by -- My UPS truck often goes past us, then returns.

They don't always adhere to the "No left turns" rule...
Old 07-17-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
[ whine ] But I want it NOOOOWWWWWW [ /whine ]

I've been waiting 2 months for the blades to get in stock.... Unfriggen believable lol
hmmm, you know you could make it way easier on your nerves if you call Natasha and ask for the tracking number,,,,,,,,you have about 45 minutes until she leaves the office.,,,,,,,and they are closed tomorrow.

then again you did get it because UPS made a mess of things to begin with.

,,,,,,,,r

Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Man I live in the south... that's the only way cars around here know how to turn. Ain't you seen Nascar?

I have received a package as late as 8pm but I have my doubts he's coming back around. Had the JMP out and ready to receive it's first blade too. Got the sucker all straightened out with my Wixey angle gauge and had a couple scrap pieces of Wenge I was going to just saw for fun. At least I got my little squares and a drum kit I need to ship out to Australia tomorrow. That was more of a concern anyways I suppose. Still just ticked I have this new toy I can't use

Oh I have the tracking number... thus the quoted bit about when it went out for delivery at 5 this morning lol EXCELLENT point on the UPS screw up resulting in me owning it in the first place lol