talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Default Knee Pads

I have done a 200 square foot room with the RO 150 and CT 22.

Think I started with 80 grit Cristal with no issues at all.

Wouldn't want to do a whole house with a Rotex but a room or two is fine. Make sure you invest in some good knee pads if you don't have some already

Dan Clermont

Refinishing floor with Rotex thread Rotex for floor refinishing

Last edited by SRSemenza; 03-13-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added link to other thread
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Rotex for floor refinishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClermont View Post
I have done a 200 square foot room with the RO 150 and CT 22.

Think I started with 80 grit Cristal with no issues at all.

Wouldn't want to do a whole house with a Rotex but a room or two is fine. Make sure you invest in some good knee pads if you don't have some already

Dan Clermont
Get the knee pads before your knees get sore.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Since this thread has moved to the very important point about knee protection, instead of conventional knee pads, go to a masonry supply house and buy a concrete finisher's sled. It has a hard plastic bottom with handles on each end and a thick, dense foam pad to kneel down on. The concrete finisher uses it to do hard trawling in the middle of an uncured slab. I find this much easier to use and far softer on the knees than conventional knee pads.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Get the knee pads before your knees get sore.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Founding Member

Knee protection is critical. If you're going to spend extended time on your knees, get ProKnees knee pads.

There is a discussion on the JLC forums about knee pads. I mentioned ProKnees and another fellow liked Monster Pads. Since the Monster Pads weren't expensive, I decided to try a pair for up and down work. I posted a review comparing Monster Pads with ProKnees in the thread: Pro Knee pads, worth it? - JLC-Online Forums.

While I liked the Monster Pads for general use...

ProKnees are still the BEST choice for extended work on your knees - like tiling, installing flooring, or sanding floors. I've spent hours at a time installing subfloor and tiling. And many hours crawling across open joists doing electrical, HVAC, and plumbing work. You can kneel crossways on an open joist just about as comfortable as kneeling on a soft carpet.

As I mentioned in the review, ProKnees transfer your weight to your entire shin. The should more properly be called "shin pads". There is almost no weight on your knees which protects your knees. The also do a great job of protecting your back. Since I have bad knees and a bad back, this is critical.

My chiropractor costs $37 per treatment. Disregarding pain and other discomfort, I've EASILY saved twice the cost of the ProKnees in reduced doctor's visits and pain meds over the last two+ years.

Below are some pics from my review. The photos show the big difference between Monster Pads and ProKnees. The ProKnees are much more stable and more comfortable.

Here's the ProKnees website: Proknee.com. I have the old version, not the new ones shown on their website. The new ones are significantly improved over the old ones. Mine are still in great shape after two years of use. If I could dream up even the slightest excuse, I'd buy the new ones in a heartbeat.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. The blue tape shows the area of support for each pad. Because of the design, ProKnees support your shins past the point where the pad touchs the floor. Also notice that, unlike almost all other kneepads, the ProKnees are almost dead-flat where they touch the floor. This means that they are EXTREMELY stable.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I like Jerry's pad suggestion for sanding a room in your house. For a pro who spends may work a couple of hours straight on his knees the stuff Dan suggests is more like it.

I saw some knee support system somewhere that actually has a support structure that extends to in front of the foot so when you kneel all the way down your foot is actually held slightly above the floor eliminating hyper-extension of the ankle, which is the problem you have to deal with after you solve the knee protection problem.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Knee Pads

Hi,

I have only tried a couple and none of the newest ones. Those that I tried always seemed so clunky that I did not want to use them. And also awkard / restrictive when standing. Perhaps the ProKnee pads are better in that regard?

Seth
Old 03-13-2009, 05:17 PM

Got the proknees. Love em. You have to be willing to part with two bills. That gets pretty easy if you spend a day digging random fasteners into your patella.
Tile guys also have a sled I've seen which is on wheels and has a bicycle seat. You roll around freely. Not probably for the average homeowner but another great concept for those trades that have to spend a lot of time on the ground.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 PM

I have to agree when you down on your knees you need some cushion on them to make working comfortable, and offer them some degree of protection. I have had surgery on both of my knees and they are both pretty sensitive. I found these at a local DIY store and they work for me, at around 25 bucks they are not expensive either.
Attached Thumbnails
knee-pads-mojo-2.jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 05:43 PM

I have the knee sled Jerry recommended - it works out very well, costs about $20. The upside for it is that's always ready, even for small jobs that require you to be on your knees.
You don't go through the "do I really want to go through the effort to put those things on."

And in those awkward situations when your in the position of using your elbow to prop you up.........it works very well as a elbow pad as well.

Yeah, and it's also good in the garden.......just rinse it off when your done.

Roger

ps. if you are using the sled on a floor that's already finished, say your fixing the edge of your dining room table
.......put a towel under the sled or a urethane sheet. The bottom is a hard plastic and the tendency is to use it as a sled as your moving.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 03-13-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Knee Pads......RAC-A-TAC !!!

everything above is fine,

but when you want to save your back as well after working all day,

you might take a peek at this........