talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 PM

Default Kreg Jig...Whats the best drill?

I've heard that an electric powered drill is recommended for pocket drilling, maybe for increased RPM I'm not sure. I have always used a battery powered drill in the past. I just added dust collection to my older kreg pocket hole jig. So If I wanted to use and electric drill so it would trigger the CT33 vac, I'm wondering what would be the best drill for pocket holes? Should I look for one with higher rpm? Does any drill work specifically better than others in this application? Or doesn't it matter at all? My old electric craftsman doesn't seem to be any better than my battery powered drills however it also runs at low rpm.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Kreg Jig...Whats the best drill?

Kreg recommends 2000 RPM which is hard to find in a cordless, but I have not had any problem using my C12 set at 1500 RPM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 PM

My Kreg Manual recommends any drill over 2000 RPM to prevent wear on the drill bit.

None of my drills (corded or cordless) go that fast but I've been using them anyway.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 PM

I kinda wanted to go with a cord to trigger the vac. Is there corded drill with higher RPM?

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM

I use my corded Milwaukee 5378-21 with my Kreg pocket hole jig . It runs at 2,500 rpm on the top setting

Last edited by FrankPellow; 02-13-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 AM

Thanks Frank... I'm going to a woodworking sale/show at Hartville hardware next week here in Ohio. They are a milwauke dealers, so I'll see if they have that model and check it out.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 AM

My makita 18v li-ion LXT spins pretty fast, I think at least 1800 rpm. I used to use my dewalt cordless to trigger the vac. But it is so much more ergonomic not to have a cord on the drill that I switched to the makita cordless. I just turn on the vac and leave it on whilst drilling. The makita has a brake so it is much faster when drilling a bunch of holes if the bit is not turning while trying to get it into the guide for the next hole.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 AM

I'll have to try things out...I sure do like collection though. I made the friction fit hole for the 36mm hose and Its so nice no to have all those drill shavings...
Attached Thumbnails
kreg-jig-whats-best-drill-kreg-dust-collection.jpg   kreg-jig-whats-best-drill-kreg-rolling-cart.jpg   kreg-jig-whats-best-drill-kreg-cart-opened.jpg  

Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 AM

My personal preference is a corded drill. I've used a cordless with much less rpm but prefer the corded. Hook it up to the CT and all is well.

I use an old DeWalted 505 from back when our tools were made in the good old US.....uh, I mean Italy.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 AM

Hi,

I have used a 1,250 cordless, and a 2,300 corded. I much prefer te higher RPM and greater torque of the corded. It is nothing special an old Skil. The cordless drills (for the most part) will not be turning out the rated RPM after a bunch of holes either, but the corded will. Makes a pretty big difference.

Having the DC on the Kreg jig is definetly a plus. No more blowing chips off the base to make sure the next piece rests level and firm.

As far as triggering the CT- it works well. I generally lock the drill on for a series of holes. So that it is not kicking on/off for every hole.

Seth
Attached Thumbnails
kreg-jig-whats-best-drill-dsc00001.jpg  

Last edited by SRSemenza; 02-13-2009 at 05:05 AM.