talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 AM

Default Need a long, accurate square

I have searched here and at the other forum, and I still haven't found what I'm looking for (cue Bono). I am trying to find a square at least 18" long that is really accurate, so not a box store special framing square.
Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Need a long, accurate square

I hate to throw out the obvious but why not make your own? It can be made out of a nice piece of hardwood.

Another answer is to go to a local machine shop and have them make one for you. Machinist play with accuracies way beyond our needs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 AM

My brother-in-law is trying to figure out the best way to make one for me, but its taking a little longer than I had hoped. So I'm thinking of just buying one.

I suppose I could make one, but I really like shiny new things. . .
Old 01-19-2009, 04:13 AM

I bought a cheap 18 inch speed square. Knowing that the speed squares are stamped to shape, I figured it has to be close to being square. It's off by an 1/8 inch over it's length. Very disappointing.

I swear that is the last time I'm spending money for a square. There are so many things square already. We all know how to make something square. So I'm giving up on buying squares.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Perfect Little Angel

I have both of these and they seem fine. Probably not worth the money but they look nice...

Measuring and Layout - Carpenter Triangle
Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I have both of these and they seem fine. Probably not worth the money but they look nice...

Measuring and Layout - Carpenter Triangle
I have the 12" version. It's very accurate. Worth the money? Tough to say.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

I have Woodpecker's 12" Precision Triangle and the 18" Carpenter Triangle and like both very much. If I could only own one, it would definitely be the 18" Carpenter Triangle.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 AM

I have the 18" square and it is dead nuts accurate. it came in a nifty mdf case that I promptly threw out. I did a test of the square by cutting a large rectangle using the guiderail aligned to the square on cuts 2,3, and 4. the rectangle was about 45" x 45" and the diagonals measured the same.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 AM

Hi,

I have to jump on the Woodpeckers band wagon as well. I have several of the squares and rules. Pricey , well made, nice to use. All of the Woodpeckers measuring stuff that I have checks out against one another. In other words, I can switch from the 48" straight edge rule, to the 36" wood working rule to the 12" square, etc and maintain consistency and accuracy. EX- 9 5/16" is the same actual measurement on all of them. The squares all check out to 90 degrees.

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 01-19-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM

Here you go Sparky................ this guy is really good with ideas for not buying something

WWA Info Exchange :: View topic - Triangles

Jay