talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Founding Member

Default Sharpening - chisels, gouges, knives, etc.

Does any on the board sharpen using water, oil or diamond stones? I have the WorkSharp and the Veritas MKII but have not been happy with either one. I just recently came across the DMT Continuous Diamond stones and picked them up. I also have the Lee Valley freakin 14lb monster Lapping Plate. I took two of my very old and very battered chisels and lapped the backs of both. One was so bad it took an hour and a half and then just started running the first one through the fine diamond stone. I am using water and a little bit of detergent as a lubricant. Within about 20 minutes I achieved the sharpest edge I have ever been able to produce and I have not hit the extra fine or extra extra fine stones.

If anyone else uses stones or has used and then gone to machines or vice versa as I have I would love to hear your experiences.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Sharpening - chisels, gouges, knives, etc.

I tried the diamond stones, water stones with no luck. I bought the Tormek about 2 years ago and it works perfect everytime. Never had a better edge on my tools or knives as I do now.

Don
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

I've been using the scary sharp method, with Klingspor sandpaper on a piece of granite. I've been using the Veritas jig to maintain the angle. Works great for my chisels, but I haven't had great success yet with my plane blades. Probably my own lack of experience.

I'd been thinking of switching over to the DMT diamond stones, but the guy at Craftsman Studio says the Shapton ceramic stones are much better. I was just talking with Fred who says that the DMTs worked great for him - and of course they don't need flattening. At any rate, I had almost convinced myself to forgo the stones, and get the Worksharp. Now I'm not so sure.

Any advice?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:46 AM

I've always used waterstones. The japanese king stones are pretty good but go out of flat quickly and can muck up the backs of a blade or an edge if you are not careful.

I changed over to the Shapton's and thought they would stay flatter longer and they did. Unfortunately, they are a B$tch to get flat again unless you buy the expensive diamond reference lapping plate.

Personally, I don't think you can get as good of an edge on a Veritas or Worksharp as you can freehanding it on stones (or using a jig) but that is just my humble opinion. In order to get a good edge on stones requires constant stone lapping so you have a perfectly flat surface.

Dan Clermont
Your CANADIAN FESTOOL DEALER!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Hello

I freehand all my chisels and blades with Japanese King water stones.
I keep them in water.
They do get out of flat pretty quickly, but are just as quick to flatten. Its an inexpensive and effective system.
I keep some wet and dry sandpaper next to the stones. After touching up a blade, I just give the stone a few swipes on the paper, to keep it flat enough.
Sharpening can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it. If the iron is sharp, I'm happy, it doesn't have to be perfection
cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:

Last edited by Okami; 11-23-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

I'd like to know if anyone has experience working with D2 or M2 steel.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post

I keep some wet and dry sandpaper next to the stones. After touching up a blade, I just give the stone a few swipes on the paper, to keep it flat enough.
Okami, do you put the wet and dry sandpaper on something flat?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClermont View Post
Dan Clermont
Your CANADIAN FESTOOL DEALER!!!!
Hey Dan - this is great news! A crack in the Hafele monopoly. How did you ever swing this? I bet a lot of Canadians are sleeping more soundly now.

How do you ever set prices? The way the Canadian and American dollars are dancing relative to each other, the price might change by 15% in an hour!
Old 11-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Founding Member

I went through several methods, including some Norton waterstones + an 8000 grit Shapton ceramic. The waterstones and Shapton ceramic went non-flat pretty quickly.

I got the Shapton lapping plate (OBSCENELY expensive!) and used it to lap the waterstones and Shapton ceramic. After only one session, I noticed that the lapping plate looked like some of the diamond had worn off. Although their documentation says that the plate is designed for the Shapton ceramic, they did NOT say that you could destroy your lapping plate using it on rough waterstones!!! When I pointed out to the Shapton customer support people that the lapping plate was now "compromised" because of their poor documentation and that they should replace the lapping plate, they said something like "Sorry... User error. Not going to replace it."

DON'T BUY SHAPTON!

I tried Scary Sharp using 3M lapping film from Tools for Working Wood. That worked pretty well, but the lower grits got used up pretty quickly.

Then I got two DMT 10" DuoSharp bench stones - one course/extra course and one fine/extra fine. I use the 3M lapping film for the final polishing. This has worked well and I'm happy with the results.

I'm thinking of getting a DMT 8" DiaSharp D8XX (extra extra course) and and a D8EE (extra extra fine) stone. The extra extra course would be better on the course end for quickly shaping blades. The extra extra fine might eliminate the need for the lapping film.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:50 PM

I can't say enough about my Worksharp. I was never good at sharpening and, ashamed to say, resorted to buying new chisels when my current chisels got dull. :stongue: Right out of the box, I got my first try using the Worksharp so sharp I could shave the hairs on my arms. I also had good luck restoring a keen edge on my otherwise dull block plane. 3 snaps up for the Worksharp.
BTW, I see Rockler's selling them for $150 on Black Friday.