talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Default Holtey is Retiring

Was just poking around at web sites and saw his announcement.

"Holtey Classic Handplanes Homepage - The finest quality Dovetailed Infill planes and Hand planes."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Holtey is Retiring

Beautiful planes, but a little out of my price range. It is always sad to see a Master retire, but his work will live on for generations.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:06 PM

Here's a cheaper way to get a Holtey

Karl Holtey Design Purfling Cutter - Lee Valley Tools

I bought one a few years ago, was super excited because I had seen a picture in a inlay/veneering book of it and thought it was very cool. Haven't used it yet.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

If only I had the purfect project.....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

I talked to someone at Lee Valley about Karl's purfling cutter - they were not impressed. They made a run of about 200, and didn't come close to selling out.

Bummer that he's retiring, though. Do you think the prices of his planes will rise? Is that even possible?
Old 02-21-2016, 03:37 PM

Web site says 100 were made- I played around with mine a bit and wasn't sure how well it would cut a parallel line with such a small reference flat and the handle location. It is gorgeous though!

The cost of his planes are so high to begin with- no doubt justified by the one off and highly precise method of construction, but nevertheless puts them out of reach to most woodworkers, so I wouldn't expect much of a climb in prices.

I might add that he has just retired and might be talked into making another for an inflated price, making a used market increase not as likely?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Administrator

When Fred sent me a photo of his new Holtey 982 back in 2011 it was love at first sight for me.

He jokingly told me he would leave it to me in his will.

Now that Fred's gone I would give anything (almost) to own that particular plane. Not sure that I would want to use it, but just holding it would bring back great memories of Fred.

I have no idea where that plane is now.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

I continue to wonder if Fred's family had any idea what they were dealing with in his collection. I was horrified when I heard how the Festools were liquidated. They could have done much better than that if they had only asked for help from his friends.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

I was horrified when I heard how the Festools were liquidated. They could have done much better than that if they had only asked for help from his friends.
Yes, that was hard to watch. Fred would have been horrified as well.

Several of us offered to assist and/or advise, but were told they didn't need any help.

I hope the Holtey went to a good home.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 PM

John,

You have a mill, don't you? Without Holtey to compete with, it seems like the perfect time for you to start making custom planes!