talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Holtey is Retiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Leaky, I've thought the same thing.
If Fred's intentions were that his friends sell his collection for the family, and that was important to him, surely that information would have been passed to them. It could well have, and they decided another option.
It is what it is, and history can't be changed. We have to let it be.
Oh, very true. It can't be undone now, just wondering the family dynamics since I never met Fred or his family.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

It's a shame that Fred's wishes weren't honored (John and I and several others were quite aware of them), but it's been made clear to me that it's none of my business. So I try to honor Fred's memory in other ways.

Unfortunately, for his sources like Scott Meek, Konrad Sauer, Raney Nelson, Ron Brese and John Economaki, I am not as avid a tool buyer as Fred. But then again, nobody is!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
It's a shame that Fred's wishes weren't honored (John and I and several others were quite aware of them), but it's been made clear to me that it's none of my business. So I try to honor Fred's memory in other ways.

Unfortunately, for his sources like Scott Meek, Konrad Sauer, Raney Nelson, Ron Brese and John Economaki, I am not as avid a tool buyer as Fred. But then again, nobody is!
That's a real shame, Potosan... I did kind of have that feeling after Fred passed, when we exchanged PM's about some posts that we decided to delete.
But, hey! You did all that you could, and I'm sure Fred really appreciates that
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
That's a real shame, Potosan... I did kind of have that feeling after Fred passed, when we exchanged PM's about some posts that we decided to delete.
But, hey! You did all that you could, and I'm sure Fred really appreciates that
You did good, Peter. I only wish that I could have been there too.

As I see it, Fred's collection of tools is long gone and contacting the family about them is just not appropriate. After all, the loss here is that of our dear friend, not his collection of tools. Fred was always so very enthusiastic about the tools and the people that made them. I sure miss him, and I certainly miss his presence here.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That is indeed a shame, but if it wasn't in his legally binding will or trust then there's little to stand on. Another unfortunate example of the need to be precise in estate planning.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Beautiful planes, but a little out of my price range.
Way out of my range too
Old 02-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

Although I was never involved with any of this pre- and post, Fred's death, it still sounds like he talked an awful lot about his tools with you John, and not at all with his family. I still wonder how many conversations he never started with them about all of this.
Am I wrong on this? Did he ever let them know how much he'd collected before he died?
Fred was very close to his daughter, she meant everything to him (now in her late twenties). She lived in New York, but visited him often.

Fred told me that she had a mild interest in his tool collection, and even picked out a couple she would like to inherit (neither of them had any idea how soon that would be).

Fred's concern was that neither his daughter nor the rest of the family fully understood the value of his collection. Some of the tools were very rare and quite valuable. Which is why he asked several of us to step in and help if the need arose. I know for a fact that he gave his daughter our contact information, and told her how we could help.

My guess is that after his death the other family members convinced his daughter that our advice was not needed. I hope that was true.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post

... As I see it, Fred's collection of tools is long gone and contacting the family about them is just not appropriate. After all, the loss here is that of our dear friend, not his collection of tools. Fred was always so very enthusiastic about the tools and the people that made them. I sure miss him, and I certainly miss his presence here.
All true, Corwin.

However, as much as I would like to someday own Fred's Holtey, I would rest easier if I knew for a fact that it, and the other tools went to folks who truly appreciate them. AND, that his daughter got the full inheritance she deserved.

We know the Festool stuff was sold for a song, and that was easy to properly evaluate, which makes me worry about the more esoteric stuff.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:28 PM

My biggest concern is that they just stuck it all in boxes somewhere like a garage or basement and if and when they decide to use or sell them, they will have rusted badly and be worthless.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
My biggest concern is that they just stuck it all in boxes somewhere like a garage or basement and if and when they decide to use or sell them, they will have rusted badly and be worthless.
Oh! I do hope not