talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Holtey is Retiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
John,

You have a mill, don't you? Without Holtey to compete with, it seems like the perfect time for you to start making custom planes!
Put my name on the list for one of John's first batch

I had a knife made for Fred, and somehow managed to persuade the knife maker to put Fred's name on the blade, in Japanese. When Fred passed, I desperately wanted to buy it back as I doubt it would mean much (probably unreadable) to anyone else.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:

You have a mill, don't you? Without Holtey to compete with, it seems like the perfect time for you to start making custom planes!
Yes, I could do that.

I'm only lacking two things, electricity and skill.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Yes, I could do that.

I'm only lacking two things, electricity and skill.

You could probably get the skill quicker than the electricity!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Put my name on the list for one of John's first batch

I had a knife made for Fred, and somehow managed to persuade the knife maker to put Fred's name on the blade, in Japanese. When Fred passed, I desperately wanted to buy it back as I doubt it would mean much (probably unreadable) to anyone else.
So many of us would like to know what happened to his hand tools- somewhere I think I have email addresses for family members and have gone back and forth on if I should ask. They don't personally know me, so not sure if they would answer and not sure if it would be insulting to send.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
So many of us would like to know what happened to his hand tools- somewhere I think I have email addresses for family members and have gone back and forth on if I should ask. They don't personally know me, so not sure if they would answer and not sure if it would be insulting to send.
I think it's best for Fred's family, to leave it be, Rutager. I'm sure it's been hard on them and wouldn't want to cause any trouble or upset.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post

... I'm sure it's been hard on them and wouldn't want to cause any trouble or upset.
This has been the dilemma for Fred's close friends. Long before he became ill he made us promise that if he should pass away we would help his daughter with selling his stuff, so that she would inherit as much as possible.

After his passing, we all came forward and were quickly brushed off. Out of respect for Fred, we decided to just let it go.

Still, to this day I can't help but feel that I let Fred down.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 PM

This brought a much needed smile.

Quote:
When Fred sent me a photo of his new Holtey 982 back in 2011 it was love at first sight for me.

He jokingly told me he would leave it to me in his will.

Now that Fred's gone I would give anything (almost) to own that particular plane. Not sure that I would want to use it, but just holding it would bring back great memories of Fred.

I have no idea where that plane is now.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I happened to find a Holtey on ebay in Australia:

RARE Holtey A6 Smoother Parallel Infill Plane | eBay

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
This has been the dilemma for Fred's close friends. Long before he became ill he made us promise that if he should pass away we would help his daughter with selling his stuff, so that she would inherit as much as possible.

After his passing, we all came forward and were quickly brushed off. Out of respect for Fred, we decided to just let it go.

Still, to this day I can't help but feel that I let Fred down.

Although I was nevern involved with any of this pre- and post, Freds death, it still sounds like he talked an awful lot about his tools with you John, and not at all with his family. I still wonder how many conversations he never started with them about all of this.
Am I wrong on this? Did he ever let them know how much he'd collected before he died?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
Although I was nevern involved with any of this pre- and post, Freds death, it still sounds like he talked an awful lot about his tools with you John, and not at all with his family. I still wonder how many conversations he never started with them about all of this.
Am I wrong on this? Did he ever let them know how much he'd collected before he died?
Leaky, I've thought the same thing.
If Fred's intentions were that his friends sell his collection for the family, and that was important to him, surely that information would have been passed to them. It could well have, and they decided another option.
It is what it is, and history can't be changed. We have to let it be.