talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM

Default Olive Winter Smoother

I noticed that there has not been a post to this forum since my last post. Well here goes.

Winter Smoother with Olive Wood Tote and Knob. 1.875" wide iron, 8" sole length, 50 Degree pitch. Oiled brass bits.

Last picture shows this plane taming a knarly piece of curly cherry.

Ron

Last edited by RonBrese; 06-19-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Olive Winter Smoother

Wow! Very impressive, Ron. Love the grain on the olive wood - it's very distinctive. Did you know that in France it's illegal to cut down an olive tree?

That 50 degree pitch really tamed that curly cherry, didn't it? I always have problems with tear-out with lower bed angles. Beautiful job!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Wow! Very impressive, Ron. Love the grain on the olive wood - it's very distinctive. Did you know that in France it's illegal to cut down an olive tree?

That 50 degree pitch really tamed that curly cherry, didn't it? I always have problems with tear-out with lower bed angles. Beautiful job!
I didn't know that about France. Most of what I have comes from Africa and Italy. I think taming tear out requires a combination of favorable conditions. The pitch didn't hurt, the tight mouth certainly helps, very concise mating of parts, and of course very sharp trumps all.

Ron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM

I was actually sort of amazed at how washed out these photos are after uploading to Photobucket. Never noticed that before.

If you would like to see these photos in much better quality visit my blog at:

Brese Plane

Ron
Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Just checked the photos on your blog and they are even more gorgeous. Nice work Ron. I'm betting there's a very happy new owner out there.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I don't know it it would make good plane handles, but the Western plains have an abundant supply of Russian Olive trees that were planted as windbreaks that turned out to be invasive.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 PM

I changed the image addresses and now the pictures look as they should, After some investigation found out I'm not the only one that has noticed this issue with Photobucket.

Ron
Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 AM

Stunning work, Ron.

Absolutely love the olive wood.

Temptation. Temptation.

neil