talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Founding Member

Default Konrad Video & planes

Gents & all others,

A couple of days ago a friend of Konrad posted a YouTube video on Konrad and basically why he does what he does. It is a short 2:48 and well worth watching. In addition, I received a couple of planes from Konrad the same day so as it is Sunday, you are going to get a two for one deal.

Last year, I purchased two planes from Konrad. One was the No.4 Smoother with Damascus and the other was a 1 1/4" Bayfield Infill. Konrad believes that the Bayfield Infill may be the link between the older all wooden shoulder planes and the current all metal shoulder planes. After staring at my 1 1/4" Bayfield, I asked Konrad if we could scale down two more with one at 3/4" and one at 5/8" but they had to be identical with the rosewood, stainless steel and irons made by Larry Williams except for size. Konrad immediately went nuts over this idea and then suggested the same basic idea with the No.4 Damascus as he already has a Small No.4 and an Extra Small No.4. These too needed to be identical with the ebony, stainless steel and bronze lever cap.

I call these my Double/Triple threat. I hope that you enjoy seeing these.

Fred

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 PM

Beautiful Fred! Konrad is my hero.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Konrad Video & planes

Hi Fred

Those are pretty remarkable and definitely special planes. Konrad is extraordinarily talented, not only in craftsmanship, but also an eye for line and design.

You are fortunate to be the caretaker of these - enjoy and use them as they are intended.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

What - you couldn't afford to get them with adjusters?

I enjoyed watching the video. It seemed like a nice introduction to an hour-long documentary.

Last edited by FlairWoodworks; 06-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Wonderful Fred. Congratulations on two beautiful sets. I'm envious!

Mike
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 PM

You know, Chris has the idea there. How would Konrad not be the perfect candidate for just that - an hour long special? Some years ago there was a public TV series that I loved. Trying to recall the name, but it focused entirely on craftspeople who were at the top of their craft. You'd maybe have 4 per episode. furniture, glass, metal, ceramic.
Great stuff. We ought to nominate the guy...
Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 AM

Randy

Was the PBS series Craft in America?

Craft In America / Welcome to Craft in America

neil
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 AM

That one doesnt sound right. This only ran a couple of years maybe. I'm thinking 1999
Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 AM

Ok this was bugging me. I kept searching until I figured it out. It wasn't NPR or NET, it was HGTV, and the series 1999-2003 was called Modern Masters.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to tiralie

Fred:
Great video. Thanks.
Tim