talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Hand Planes (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/hand-planes/)
-   -   Konrad Video & planes (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/hand-planes/5357-konrad-video-planes.html)

FredWest 06-03-2012 09:23 PM

Konrad Video & planes

Gents & all others,

A couple of days ago a friend of Konrad posted a YouTube video on Konrad and basically why he does what he does. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: It is a short 2:48 and well worth watching. In addition, I received a couple of planes from Konrad the same day so as it is Sunday, you are going to get a two for one deal. :Laughing2: :Laughing2: :Laughing2:

Last year, I purchased two planes from Konrad. One was the No.4 Smoother with Damascus and the other was a 1 1/4" Bayfield Infill. Konrad believes that the Bayfield Infill may be the link between the older all wooden shoulder planes and the current all metal shoulder planes. After staring at my 1 1/4" Bayfield, I asked Konrad if we could scale down two more with one at 3/4" and one at 5/8" but they had to be identical with the rosewood, stainless steel and irons made by Larry Williams except for size. Konrad immediately went nuts over this idea and then suggested the same basic idea with the No.4 Damascus as he already has a Small No.4 and an Extra Small No.4. These too needed to be identical with the ebony, stainless steel and bronze lever cap.

I call these my Double/Triple threat.BIG Big GrinBIG Big GrinBIG Big Grin I hope that you enjoy seeing these.

Fred

SMeekWoodworks 06-03-2012 10:44 PM

Beautiful Fred! Konrad is my hero.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

derekcohen 06-04-2012 03:18 AM

Re: Konrad Video & planes

Hi Fred

Those are pretty remarkable and definitely special planes. Konrad is extraordinarily talented, not only in craftsmanship, but also an eye for line and design.

You are fortunate to be the caretaker of these - enjoy and use them as they are intended.

Regards from Perth

Derek

FlairWoodworks 06-04-2012 10:16 AM

What - you couldn't afford to get them with adjusters? Poking

I enjoyed watching the video. It seemed like a nice introduction to an hour-long documentary.

TahoeTwoBears 06-04-2012 10:40 PM

Wonderful Fred. Congratulations on two beautiful sets. I'm envious!

Mike

RWeber 06-04-2012 10:48 PM

You know, Chris has the idea there. How would Konrad not be the perfect candidate for just that - an hour long special? Some years ago there was a public TV series that I loved. Trying to recall the name, but it focused entirely on craftspeople who were at the top of their craft. You'd maybe have 4 per episode. furniture, glass, metal, ceramic.
Great stuff. We ought to nominate the guy...

neilc 06-05-2012 01:54 AM

Randy

Was the PBS series Craft in America?

Craft In America / Welcome to Craft in America

neil

RWeber 06-05-2012 03:17 AM

That one doesnt sound right. This only ran a couple of years maybe. I'm thinking 1999

RWeber 06-05-2012 03:30 AM

Ok this was bugging me. I kept searching until I figured it out. It wasn't NPR or NET, it was HGTV, and the series 1999-2003 was called Modern Masters.

tiralie 06-05-2012 12:13 PM

Fred:
Great video. Thanks.
Tim