talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 AM

Default Re: planer recommendation for fir strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
First of all, since you are building trusses, check with the manufacturer of your glue to be sure it is capable of structural applications. Many of the glues discussed in this post are formulated for veneer or furniture grade loads, not to create load bearing trusses.
I have called many manufacturers. You are so right, But I decided to go with Titebond3 for a number of reasons. and the manufacture agreed with me. Said I should go with extend II for longer setup time. I wanted to try ultra-cat but could not find it local.

Quote:

Springback is inversely proportional to the number of lams you have. A larger number of thinner lams will have less springback than fewer thicker lams. Depending on your application, you may not have to worry too much about springback as long as it is consistent from one piece to the next.
An Easy Way of Determining Springback Found this for spring back.

I found this formula for spring back.

This is what I'm going with 3/16" with 19 layers giving me a calculation of .049861496=18/19powerof2

Quote:
The boogey man for lamination is creep, e.g. the lams start to slide to one side or another when you put them together. If this happens, your piece will be twisted. You can avoid it by putting battens (covered with plastic tape) sticking out from your form.
This is a great Idea I did not do this on my first to two trials but will try this. Thanks

ps if anyone could send me a link how to post pic's I would be inclined to show everyone my project.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishle View Post

ps if anyone could send me a link how to post pic's I would be inclined to show everyone my project.
Here are two links to threads here that describe the process. There are two basic methods; attach photos directly to your post, or first upload your photos to you photo album here and then reference the photos in your post.

Thumbnail Images In Posts

Using An Album Pic In A Post

There are also a few other threads in the Forum Features & How-To FAQ section here that discuss aspects of uploading and posting pictures.

If you need any further assistance, please ask, as we do want you to be able to post your pictures here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishle View Post
I did this post over on the fog Glue for Curved Trusses and decided to post the following question here because you all seam to love your hand planes.

So I have these strips of fir that is 1.5 inches wide 1/4 inch thick and 8 feet long.

So here goes what would the best low cost plane to buy to take care of the saw curfs and bring them down to about 3/16" to 7/32". I do have a granite stone and sand papers to about 2000 grit as well as a guide to put an edge on the blade.

I have a Woodcraft, Lowes and Homedepot next to me I can't really buy online because of the deadline on this project.

So what are your recommendations given my limitations?

any other thoughts?
You've already gotten excellent advice from craftsmen with more experience than I (advice to be followed) however I can't resist adding my two cents.

You apparently have a deadline you are working to so my thought would be a) based on the amount of stock to be removed b) inexperience with bench planes c) the (unspoken) requirement that the pieces be uniform thickness overall -- I would lean toward a power planer.

Bench planes -- I've really gotten hooked on hand planes, nice quiet & relaxing work however they are work and even more work if you don't stay on top of the shapening process.
I have Veritas, Lie Nielsen, old Stanleys, Bridge City, HNT Gordon, Clifton, Record, wooden and now even a WoodRiver plane ( I just had to try one ). Looking back at your criteria of buying local and low cost if you decide that you want to do the project with a bench plane I would recommend the WoodRiver (you probably won't see that recommendation from me again ). The WoodRiver planes have high quality IBC blades, the overall machined quality is good and they come very close to ready to use (maybe just a touch up of the secondary bevel). Since the strips are 1-1/2" wide and 8' long a number 6 bench plane would handle the entire width each pass and the plane's length would help to keep the strips uniform thickness.

Please keep us posted on your project progress.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Yes, a power planer would be my first choice with that amount of work to be done.
Ron, so what do You think of the Woodriver? A good user?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Yes, a power planer would be my first choice with that amount of work to be done.
Ron, so what do You think of the Woodriver? A good user?
Again, you know the history however if I'm being 90% unbiased & objective -- Yes, they are a good working tool and priced so they should appeal to many people that wouldn't take a bigger LN or Veritas bite.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I'm late to this thread... excellent information, Jesse... I'll likely be asking you questions after the new year
Old 12-24-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Again, you know the history however if I'm being 90% unbiased & objective -- Yes, they are a good working tool and priced so they should appeal to many people that wouldn't take a bigger LN or Veritas bite.
Thanks Ron!
What are the cap irons like? traditional, or the more modern, thicker ones?
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Thanks Ron!
What are the cap irons like? traditional, or the more modern, thicker ones?
They are thicker than original Stanleys but not as thick as the Clifton/Record cap irons.