talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Default Stanley by Marcou

A couple of years ago, I purchased a second hand Stanley plane with the intention of turning it into a good user. However, hours spent dragging it back and forth across numerous sheets of 80 grit, with very little progress towards flattening the sole, saw it relegated to the "I'll get back to that later" shelf.
I purchased a Veritas, and I was happy.
The Stanley was gathering surface rust, and I felt guilty every time I glanced at it.
Then I had an idea. Two or three days walk from where I live, across the plains and through a gorge is a village where they dig holes in the ground and extract gold. There resides a gentleman with a gift for crafting fine furniture. He's also a dab hand at building rather nice hand planes. This man agreed to take on the Stanley that I had failed.
What magic he worked. Not only does she look pretty, with new wood, paint and a flat grind, but making curly mulch for the garden was a dream.
Just thought I'd share.
I wonder if Fred has a Marcou'd Stanley.
Attached Thumbnails
stanley-marcou-img_1939.jpg   stanley-marcou-img_1964.jpg   stanley-marcou-img_1974.jpg   stanley-marcou-img_1976.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Stanley by Marcou

What a turn around
You must be very pleased with that Chris
I've got a couple of old stanleys my late father gave me when I was a lad.. They need the Marcou touch
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Holy Marcou! What a transformation! Very nice. Now ditch that thin blade for a nice one
Old 12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

That's beautiful. You're so lucky to live close to said master plane maker/pimper. What a wonderful job he does!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 PM

No way thats the same plane. Who are you trying to kid?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post

No way thats the same plane. Who are you trying to kid?
If we were talking about anybody but Philip Marcou I'd be suspicious too.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks guys.
PaulMarcel, I tried to fit a Veritas BU blade in there, but it wouldn't quite fit.
Have to admit bigfoot, when I first unpacked it, I thought Phillip had sent the wrong plane back.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

A very beautiful restoration! You might get a superb Hock iron set for it (may require a little more opening of the mouth. That is a plane to be very proud of.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thanks guys.
PaulMarcel, I tried to fit a Veritas BU blade in there, but it wouldn't quite fit.
Have to admit bigfoot, when I first unpacked it, I thought Phillip had sent the wrong plane back.
Rob Cosman has that combo blade+chipbreaker that gives you an IBC blade (what Veritas used previously) with a chipbreaker. It is intended to go in old Stanleys to upgrade the blade. It's a combo because, as Chris Wong and I just found out tonight, if you just put a thicker blade in those Stanleys, the depth adjuster won't catch. The combo works around that.

Worth looking into... then take the combo over to Phillip for jeweling
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
Rob Cosman has that combo blade+chipbreaker that gives you an IBC blade (what Veritas used previously) with a chipbreaker. It is intended to go in old Stanleys to upgrade the blade. It's a combo because, as Chris Wong and I just found out tonight, if you just put a thicker blade in those Stanleys, the depth adjuster won't catch. The combo works around that.

Worth looking into... then take the combo over to Phillip for jeweling
Sounds pretty good... Buy Matched Chip Breaker and Blade Set 2W for Stanley Handplanes 4 and 5 at Woodcraft