talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Default The Veritas Small BU Smoother - reviewed

My first review in a while. Hope you find it useful. Post questions if you like - discussion is what we do here.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/TheVeritasSmallBUSmoother.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Veritas Small BU Smoother - reviewed

Thank you for a very thorough and educational review, Derek.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Very nice review, Derek! I like your tips on sharpening and tuning that are included.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

A very thorough, excellent review of the usual Derek quality!

Last edited by RONWEN; 10-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou

Derek,
I noticed the lock for the Norris-type adjuster from the Premium Block Plane. So indeed there is nothing new on the face of this earth, haha.
But on genuine Premium Planes this screw has a more refined appearance, one might note.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Hi Philip

Actually, you have a part in this!

A few years ago I was involved in the design of the premium blockplanes insofar as providing feedback and recommendations when it was in prototype stage. A couple of my ideas were incorporated into the production model, one of them being the screw for the Norris adjuster. This idea was stimulated by the Norris adjuster on your smoother, and then tweeked a little. So there .. a little bit of Marcou in the Veritas(which is similar to haveing a little bit of Veritas - blade - in a Marcou!).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
Hi Philip

Actually, you have a part in this!

A few years ago I was involved in the design of the premium blockplanes insofar as providing feedback and recommendations when it was in prototype stage. A couple of my ideas were incorporated into the production model, one of them being the screw for the Norris adjuster. This idea was stimulated by the Norris adjuster on your smoother, and then tweeked a little. So there .. a little bit of Marcou in the Veritas(which is similar to haveing a little bit of Veritas - blade - in a Marcou!).

Regards from Perth

Derek
That is so : I remember asking Rob Lee if "it was alright to use his blades in my planes".....
Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM

And, on further recollection, I remember a prickly message handed down from on high , from a certain venerable gentleman claiming that my S20A sort of looked like one of his..... (Pure coincidence ofcourse as I had never seen or heard of the guy when I produced my very first custom plane). Funny, that.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marcou View Post
And, on further recollection, I remember a prickly message handed down from on high , from a certain venerable gentleman claiming that my S20A sort of looked like one of his..... (Pure coincidence ofcourse as I had never seen or heard of the guy when I produced my very first custom plane). Funny, that.
That's very interesting. Sometimes when I design a piece of furniture which I believe to be completely original, I later find something with the same shapes.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post
That's very interesting. Sometimes when I design a piece of furniture which I believe to be completely original, I later find something with the same shapes.
I would say that is normal . The brain stores what the eyes see....The more you see the more you develop "an eye for the right shape". Applies to everything