talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Hand Planes (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/hand-planes/)
-   -   Fred's Latest Plane (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/hand-planes/4684-freds-latest-plane.html)

RonBrese 07-14-2011 03:15 AM

Fred's Latest Plane

2 Attachment(s)
Fred's latest plane, well.......at least that I know ofPoking

8" long, 1.875 wide iron, body is 410 stainless, Macassar Ebony wooden bits.

Ron

RONWEN 07-14-2011 03:25 AM

Re: Fred's Latest Plane

That is a real honey Ron! :thumbsup2:

neilc 07-14-2011 03:26 AM

Beautiful Ron! That new milling machine setup does beautiful work!

Of course the operator is everything!

Neil

FlairWoodworks 07-14-2011 07:21 AM

Beautiful combination of materials, Ron.

TahoeTwoBears 07-14-2011 01:22 PM

Wow! Now I'm finally getting jealous.

FredWest 08-06-2011 06:32 PM

Gentlefolk,

Three days ago, I received this beautiful plane from Ron. It is so beautiful and works just as well as it looks. Last night I used it on some Tasmanian Myrtle for two hours and it was a joy to use. It is just slightly bigger than the Lie-Nielsen number 3. Like the LN the sole is 8 inches long but the 812-50S is 2 5/16" across and where the bronze LN weighs 4 lbs the 812-50S weighs 4 lbs 4 ozs. The LN is also bedded at 45 degrees whereas Ron's is 50 degrees. To be fair you can buy a 50 or 55 degree frog for the number 3. However, there are several things that I favor in Ron's plane over a LN or LV plane aside from the fact that it is made by Ron. First, when Ron makes a plane is tolerances are phenomenal tight much more so than you will ever get with a mass produced plane even if they are as high quality as LN or LV. Secondly, Ron's planes are truly ready out of the box and finally they are works of art imbued with the heart and soul of the maker. You will never go wrong getting a plane from Ron plus he may be one of the nicest guys in the world although Jameel, Konrad, Bob and Raney sure give him a run for his money.BIG Big GrinBIG Big GrinBIG Big GrinBIG Big Grin

Fred

RonBrese 08-06-2011 09:21 PM

Fred I'm glad you're enjoying the plane. The bedding plate in this plane is integrated into the body of the plane permanently and this creates in essence a torsion box type configuration. This makes for an incredibly rigid plane body and bedding surfaces that are spot on, and of course there's also the corrosion resistance of the 410 stainless steel. The lever cap in this tool is of the same design that I use in my infill planes, mate that with a .210 thick high carbon iron and you've got a plane where when in use, nothing moves but the shaving (and of course the plane down the board).:)

Ron

FredWest 08-06-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonBrese (Post 71318)
Fred I'm glad you're enjoying the plane. The bedding plate in this plane is integrated into the body of the plane permanently and this creates in essence a torsion box type configuration. This makes for an incredibly rigid plane body and bedding surfaces that are spot on, and of course there's also the corrosion resistance of the 410 stainless steel. The lever cap in this tool is of the same design that I use in my infill planes, mate that with a .210 thick high carbon iron and you've got a plane where when in use, nothing moves but the shaving (and of course the plane down the board).:)

Ron

Ron,

Thank you very much as I have to say that my way was just not working. I was holding the plane and then running the board across the sole. :Laughing2: :Laughing2: :Laughing2: :Laughing2:

Fred

FlairWoodworks 08-06-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWest (Post 71319)
Ron,

Thank you very much as I have to say that my way was just not working. I was holding the plane and then running the board across the sole. :Laughing2: :Laughing2: :Laughing2: :Laughing2:

Fred

Fred,

I know you're joking, but that's actually very effective when working with small parts. Sometimes I hold the plane in my hand, othertimes I clamp it downside-up in my vise.

FredWest 08-06-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks (Post 71320)
Fred,

I know you're joking, but that's actually very effective when working with small parts. Sometimes I hold the plane in my hand, othertimes I clamp it downside-up in my vise.

Chris,

I was strictly joking but I too have run little pieces holding the plane in my hand. However, I have never clamped it so I will have to try it. Do you have a particular plane that works better for you this way?

Fred