talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Panel Plane from Raney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

Is there a different name for electricity in SoCal ...
No, but since California has decided to become the "greenest" state in the union, the use of electricity for discretionary purposes has become politically incorrect. Being a totally politically correct person, that's my current excuse the reason I have held off in hooking up my machines.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
No, but since California has decided to become the "greenest" state in the union, the use of electricity for discretionary purposes has become politically incorrect. Being a totally politically correct person, that's my current excuse the reason I have held off in hooking up my machines.

Since you live in a different country I'm never quite sure how close to true some of those things actually are. Just like not being allowed to use your garden hose in the driveway to wash your car... Many towns around here don't even meter (or care) how much water is used. Leaky pipes & faucets go forever without repairs.
We do recycle the water though, we are using the same old water that has been around millions of years -- just think how many times it's been re-used.

Last edited by RONWEN; 05-15-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Since you live in a different country I'm never quite sure how close to true some of those things actually are. Just like not being allowed to use your garden hose in the driveway to wash your car... Many towns around here don't even meter (or care) how much water is used. Leaky pipes & faucets go forever without repairs.
As strange as it sometimes sounds, nearly everything I have said about my state is absolutely true.

Quote:

We do recycle the water though, we are using the same old water that has been around millions of years -- just think how many times it's been re-used.
And who what it may have been run through.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
As strange as it sometimes sounds, nearly everything I have said about my state is absolutely true.

And who what it may have been run through.
Exactly, I'm pretty sure I brushed my teeth with Julius Caesar this morning & rinsed with Abe Lincoln.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: "Shop Class as Soulcraft"

Quote:
You'll be further warmed to hear that based on your review I was reminded to purchase it. TahoeTwoBears suggested it back in March of 2010.
Anyone went to college for woodworking?

Another book worth reading: Amazon.com: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (P.S.) (9780061673733): Robert M. Pirsig: Books
Ron,

I have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance three times and I always keep a couple of copies around to hand out. I love that book.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
You are exactly right on all counts -- the panel raising plane he shows is a wooden top escapement plane of a fixed profile. He also makes the same point as you that the badger planes are very rare in the U.S., more common in the UK. He demonstrates using a panel smoother for feathering the raised panel and apparently way-back-when they even used draw knives which I assume would take a tremendous amount of skill to get a nice looking job.
Ron,

Last year Konrad actually made a Badger plane and it was absolutely gorgeous. It was also on the front page of one of Lee Valleys monthly newsletter. Apparently it was a bear to make but wow what a cool looking plane.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31