talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Plywood plane

As interesting as the concept is, it all began with the statement "so lets say you don't care about aesthetics". And there is a place for that. I may make a couple, but I don't have any grand illusions about this being something trendy that is going to take off.
I have, however, been doing some work of late for a joint that does all carbon fiber work. Man that stuff is strong. And really, really messy to cut. The idea has occurred to me to find out what their molding capabilities are - can they make a carbon fiber plane? You would not have much in the way of heft. It may be a challenge to get tolerances the way you would want. But it would be darn strong. It could be very cool looking. Its just another one of those random thoughts bobbing around in my skull at the moment.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

We must be linked at the brain, Randy, because I kid you not, I was thinking about a carbon-fiber plane just this afternoon! Seriously!

My thoughts were that you'd miss the weight, and that it would be too brittle. But it could certainly look cool!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Fill it with lead??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 AM

I don't think brittle is in the equation. These guys just demonstrated the strength by wrapping essentially a 2x12x12. So what you ended up with was a straw that size with 1/4" sidewalls and it lifted 86,000 lbs without noticeable deflection. Freaky.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Fill it with lead??
Honestly, yeah. Already said that. I was joking, and said, you could fill it with lead shot, but then your plane would need that stupid California proposition whatever "this product contains lead" warning. But realistically, you could put a slug in there just to give it weight. And that's probably not a bad idea. I've got scraps of the stuff around and it does not weigh much at all.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Fill it with lead??
Nah. Depleted uranium. Much denser and you could just nuke that hardwood.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 05-28-2011, 04:22 AM

This is so stinkin cool man! Brilliant! Wishing I'd thought of it. Love seeing guys getting so deep into plane making!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
As interesting as the concept is, it all began with the statement "so lets say you don't care about aesthetics".
And that's a good way to break free of this week's list of Approved Beautiful Materials.

So now you've done it, and you ended up with something attractive anyway.

How about MDF? Or one of the phenolic materials? Say, Micarta or Catalin (if you could find it). Or that impregnated wood they sell for pen blanks?

Hey, let's really stretch here. How about glass? Or stone?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Well Scott you are most welcome to run with it. I'm just glad you came back here again. Your stool at the bar was gathering dust.
As entertaining as the experiment was, I have a new truckload, literally, of spalted maple that's been begging to get roughed out. My time has been spent there the last couple weeks.