talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Krenovian Jointer in Beech and E.I. Rosewood

Hey Everyone,

This project was the result of several converging forces, one being the pair of LV replacement #60 1/2 block plane blades bought for the purpose of making Krenov planes; ogling the Inside Passage school's website for days, and deciding to save these large planks of beech for something prettier than a Moxon double screw. After doing the heavy ripping and stock prep after hours at work I wound up with this, I used orange wax on the body, and Formby's high gloss polish on the wedge. The mouth is very tight and from the test cuts, it's been a joy to use. I had perfect little chamfers on the arris', but dinged up the two bottom right side corners when I dropped the plane...I'm very dismayed at myself for this. Amateur mistake that will bother me every time I use it... Anyways here's the proof. Sorry about the size, I'm not sure how to change that, I'm linking straight from my blog.

Last edited by Wonderwino; 04-29-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spaced pictures
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Krenovian Jointer in Beech and E.I. Rosewood

Outstanding!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:48 PM

Thank you.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 AM

That looks very nice! You should get years of curlies out of that beautie!
I wouldn't worry about any dings or imperfections, krenov's planes were just that, "imperfect perfection"
if I recall correctly Derek has a lovely plane made for him by Mr James Krenov!
Excellent!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I agree, those will just give the tool some of that "Krenov character".
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks guys, and I suppose ypu"re right. and I think it will see worse wear in the years to come.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:25 PM

It's the fine furniture that you make with it that you'll want to feel bad about dropping & dinging.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Really nice job, Trevor. I'm always kind of relieved after I've put the first scratch or ding in something. Then I don't have to worry so much any more!

I was thinking that you could even screw a fence onto your jointer to get perfectly right-angled edges. Of course, it would leave a few holes...
Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWalsh View Post
Thank you.
Trevor,

That is a really beautiful plane. Congratulations and I do agree that was a better use of the wood. :sign0173: :sign0173: :sign0173:

I hate to be the one to break this too you and since I have not yet read the other replies, in fact I may not be the one but professionals, super hobbyist, freaking everyone will drop something precious like that and will do it more than once. Still a great job drop or not.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Really nice job, Trevor. I'm always kind of relieved after I've put the first scratch or ding in something. Then I don't have to worry so much any more!

I was thinking that you could even screw a fence onto your jointer to get perfectly right-angled edges. Of course, it would leave a few holes...
Trevor,

Peter and Sharon do not yet know it but I flew to San Diego and dented both of their new cars so they would no longer worry about it. By definition taking the time off and flying across the country to do this for them is a great friend.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31

Tags
beech, jointer, krenov, plane