talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Krenovian Jointer in Beech and E.I. Rosewood

I wondered where that door dent came from! Thanks Fred! You're such a wonderful friend.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I am very glad fred doesn't know where I live. :p
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 AM

Fred rode in a truck I had once. Then I sold it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 AM

Poto, I've actually been using it today on it's side like a shoot board plane. Place the board to square, reference face down on a piece of ply thicker than the sidewall and plane away, presto 90 degrees every time... Like this...
Attached Thumbnails
krenovian-jointer-beech-e-i-rosewood-dscf1656.jpg   krenovian-jointer-beech-e-i-rosewood-dscf1658.jpg   krenovian-jointer-beech-e-i-rosewood-dscf1660.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Whoa! Nice! That certainly did the trick. Guess you have to make sure that your bench is really nice and flat for that to work...

Beautiful plane. :sdrool: Where do you hold it?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Usually just by cupping the side, with a finger in the throat pushing on the front slope. Though sometimes my hand is farther back and I'm pushing with part of my hand around the iron/wedge. I'll get a picture of that today and post it.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 PM

Here's two shots of how I hold it for long grain shooting. I used it some today on the shooting board for end grain and I was marginally impressed. I can certainly see how the added mass helps here. I think I will build a dedicated LA miter plane with like a 3/8 inch thick sole of steel. That with 3/16 sidewalls and perhaps Corian infill will make a heavy heavy plane.
Attached Thumbnails
krenovian-jointer-beech-e-i-rosewood-dscf1662.jpg   krenovian-jointer-beech-e-i-rosewood-dscf1663.jpg  

Tags
beech, jointer, krenov, plane