talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Sauer & Steiner 4d

so tell me about the pattern welded metal....fantastic....i looked through his page and could not find anything like it. great stuff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgrass View Post

so tell me about the pattern welded metal....fantastic....i looked through his page and could not find anything like it. great stuff.
Only Konrad can tell us for sure, but that is either Damascus steel, or steel etched with acid to simulate the beautiful patterns in Dasmascus steel created by the layering, repeated folding, and forge welding of several types of steel. Prized for its blade making qualities for centuries, Damascus has more recently become also prized for its unique patterned look.

During the the Crusades, the armies of Europe found themselves badly outnumbered, and the armies of Islam were much better equipped. They used weapons made of a steel so well-forged that it bent under pressure without breaking, yet held an edge so sharp it could cleave a man in half with only the force behind one arm. This secret steel of the Near East was called Damascus steel, a term used by Crusaders to describe the metal used by the artisans and swordsmiths of Damascus, Syria. These metalworkers, particularly during the Middle Ages, were famous for their ability to hammer and temper wootz steel into fine and supple blades.

Wootz was not a type of steel, but rather a way of transporting and forming steel by casting it in the shape of a flat cake. Wootz steel is described as early as 400 BC, by Aristotle. The iron in wootz steel was processed in a bellows charcoal furnace by heating together magnetite iron ore and charcoal. Non-metallic impurities were then removed from the iron by repeated hot working, called folding, and the metal that was left was formed into massive blocks called billets. The final product, wootz, was made by removing any excess carbon from the metal through reheating the blocks to a temperature just below melting point. Careful hammering, shaping and treating of the metal by Damascus armorers produced a steel so perfect that the sword blade could be bent from point to hilt without breaking or warping, and could also be honed to a very sharp edge.

It is widely believed that no one has yet been able to exactly reproduce the secret techniques of those ancient Damascus blacksmiths, but here is a video showing the way it is done today (with music I'm sure the original Damascus blacksmiths never heard ) :

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments.

The steel is Damascus and was a bit tricky to do the etching right next to the overstuff Ebony. It took several attempts but was well worth it in the end.

Cheers,
Konrad
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Konrad, if the steel was real Damascus (i.e., all folded, etc.) what did the etching do? Enhance the pattern?

This is truly one of the most gorgeous planes I had ever seen. Congratulations on a stunning piece of functional art. Amazing!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks Poto.

Good question too. When you work with damascus steel, any lapping, sanding or polishing will essentially remove the pattern. It will look like a normal piece of steel (unless you look at it in direct sunlight, then you can barely see the pattern). The acid etching eats away at the layers of steel at different rates. The pattern you see is the result. If you etch it long enough - you can actually feel the different layers with your fingernail. It feels like a topographical map of sorts.

A PA bird tells me you may be in my "neighbourhood" at some point. Please know the offer of a visit still stands - it would be great to see you again.

Cheers,
Konrad
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Konrad. Yes indeedy, we're going to be in Canuckland in June, and I'd love to come by to visit. I'll email you with details. Thanks again for the invitation - I'm REALLY looking forward to it! :sdrool:
Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Fred, if you send that to me, I'm pretty sure I can clean those stains off from the sides. Nothin' like a little wet&dry to fix that right up.

But seriously, once you get this baby home you'll have to let us know if it is really as wonderful to hold as it looks. Congratulations!

Corwin,

You used to be a nice guy but the thought of you getting near my plane with your wet/dry stuff is enough to generate killing thoughts. Away Lad, away from my plane. I am going to go out on a limb here and say, yes it as wonderful to hold and use as it looks. In this particular case I do not need scientific evidence, such as actually holding the plane, to know that it is wonderful.

Rutager, you I am very, very worried about. If you think this is a toilet paper dispenser you are a sick, sick puppy. However, should you happen to stop by I will show you EXACTLY where the roll is stored. I hope that you have a really high tolerance for pain as after the "roll" is stored, I will use some four penny nails and mount you on the wall. Never, but never mess with another man's planes.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I think a couple of coats of silver spray paint would be faster, and look way better.

John,

NO silver paint on these planes but I think you are very much on to something with your Marcou's. In fact as a huge favor for you, I will buy the silver spray cans for you. I think Philip will be quite impressed.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31