talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Default Smoothing plane now available

Finally got the smoothing plane posted on the website last night: Smoothing Plane, available in Osage Orange, White Oak, or Maple with exotic sole.

Here is the Osage smoother I finished last night:

A nice shaving:

Leaves a nice shiny glass like surface on some Tiger Maple:

The smoother is 9" long with a bed angle of 50. Gaboon Ebony cross pin and wedge. Blade from Ron Hock.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Smoothing plane now available

Beautiful, Scott! :thumb sup2:

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM

I hope you guys don't mind me tooting my own horn a bit here. I am working on a Tiger Maple jack plane order that came in last week. I got to use the new Osage smoothing plane in prepping the pieces for the plane just now, and I'm telling you, this smoother is sweet! It is having ZERO issues with this Tiger Maple, even when going against the grain due to a high trouble spot!! I'm so thrilled with this plane, I am just giddy about it today!

Thanks, just had to share.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures, man! We need pictures!

So cool - I'm really glad you're sharing. I hope your business really takes off.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Great work!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky977 View Post
I hope you guys don't mind me tooting my own horn a bit here. I am working on a Tiger Maple jack plane order that came in last week. I got to use the new Osage smoothing plane in prepping the pieces for the plane just now, and I'm telling you, this smoother is sweet! It is having ZERO issues with this Tiger Maple, even when going against the grain due to a high trouble spot!! I'm so thrilled with this plane, I am just giddy about it today!

Thanks, just had to share.

Scott,

Toot away as you are making some beautiful planes. Have you ever considered a block plane, say like one for me??

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Scott,

Toot away as you are making some beautiful planes. Have you ever considered a block plane, say like one for me??

Fred
Well, the block plane will have to be a variation of this one that I previously posted. I just need to get it posted on the website. So, I'm taking orders for it, it's just not officially listed yet.

The low angle block plane idea works somewhat, but it's not solid enough for me to feel good about selling them. At some point I may revisit it, possibly using brass for a sole. However, that may be fairly cost-prohibitive for a block plane.

I hope to have the Roubo try square and the English layout square available for purchase from the site sometime in the next couple months. Contacted Chris Schwarz to find out if that was ok, and he encouraged me to go for it.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 AM

Scott,

Nice smoother!

I really like the looks of those try squares, what species of wood were you thinking of using?

-Rutager
Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 AM

I'm thinking of using Mahogany.