talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Wonderwino's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Posts: 2,892
Default Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

So far, there are over 80 videos from this guy:

YouTube - kostasworkshop's Channel

__________________
Water separates the people of the world; wine unites them.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM
joraft's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Fernando Valley (SoCal)
Posts: 6,575
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

So far, there are over 80 videos from this guy:

YouTube - kostasworkshop's Channel


This kid's videos started showing up a couple of years ago.

One of the wonders of You Tube.


.
__________________
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

Take a look at around 10'30" of this episode...

YouTube - kostasworkshop's Channel
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Wonderwino's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Posts: 2,892
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

Darn it! I missed that one! He was pretty lucky.

When you look at the finished "Entertainment Center," it would be a good nominee for next year's Sh!t Bunny award.
__________________
Water separates the people of the world; wine unites them.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
joraft's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Fernando Valley (SoCal)
Posts: 6,575
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

Take a look at around 10'30" of this episode...

YouTube - kostasworkshop's Channel
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I've wondered if anyone ever watches these videos in their entirety, and if so, do they actually learn anything useful.


.
__________________
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

You certainly have to give the kid an A+ for effort although the rest of the report card is lacking.

(At least he's not out getting into trouble somewhere.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
joraft's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Fernando Valley (SoCal)
Posts: 6,575
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

You certainly have to give the kid an A+ for effort although the rest of the report card is lacking.

(At least he's not out getting into trouble somewhere.)
This was the topic of a thread on the FOG almost a year ago. Some thought the whole thing was a spoof, some thought the kid was an idiot, and some thought he should be applauded for his gumption:

Please Tell Me This is a Joke

And here's a post that Kosta made on Lumberjocks when he first started with his videos:

"I just started woodworking 2 years ago I lived in brooklyn ny for 10 years at van dyke a project in brownsville. I got into woodworking after my dad made me work with him one day my mom died when I was 2 so I dont really talk about that very much so I live with my step mom and my dad I still work with him. He runs viennas construction co. He was and alaskan crab fisherman for 20 years until 1998 when my mom died. He took over the company from my grandfather who was a fisherman for 40 years. The company has been around since 1940 when my grandfather immagrated from greece to new york. When I lived in brooklyn I would get in trouble with the police all the time. I know most of the cops in the 73 precinct and the 75 precinct 73 being brownsville and 75 being new lots or east new york. Last year 2 of my homeboys died bobby asson and erick scantelli so they were each 17 when they got hit up so I needed something to do so I wouldn't end up like them so I started woodworking when I didnt have anything else to do instead of doing stuff I cant talk about so nothing really scares me anymore which is the reason that I never wear saftey glasses. In the summer when im not in school im in alaska or maine working on a family boat my step moms family is lobster fisherman and my dads family including him are alaskan crab fisherman. I usually work on the F/V cyclone which fishes brown red golden king crab, opilio crab, tanner crab, and she is a tender in the summer which means she buys the catch from the gillnetters and and delivers the salmon to the canneries. I am a third generation fisherman and I will probably all year round when im 18."

-- kosta bmore maryland




.
__________________
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
FredWest's Avatar
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 3,026
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
This was the topic of a thread on the FOG almost a year ago. Some thought the whole thing was a spoof, some thought the kid was an idiot, and some thought he should be applauded for his gumption:

Please Tell Me This is a Joke

And here's a post that Kosta made on Lumberjocks when he first started with his videos:

"I just started woodworking 2 years ago I lived in brooklyn ny for 10 years at van dyke a project in brownsville. I got into woodworking after my dad made me work with him one day my mom died when I was 2 so I dont really talk about that very much so I live with my step mom and my dad I still work with him. He runs viennas construction co. He was and alaskan crab fisherman for 20 years until 1998 when my mom died. He took over the company from my grandfather who was a fisherman for 40 years. The company has been around since 1940 when my grandfather immagrated from greece to new york. When I lived in brooklyn I would get in trouble with the police all the time. I know most of the cops in the 73 precinct and the 75 precinct 73 being brownsville and 75 being new lots or east new york. Last year 2 of my homeboys died bobby asson and erick scantelli so they were each 17 when they got hit up so I needed something to do so I wouldn't end up like them so I started woodworking when I didnt have anything else to do instead of doing stuff I cant talk about so nothing really scares me anymore which is the reason that I never wear saftey glasses. In the summer when im not in school im in alaska or maine working on a family boat my step moms family is lobster fisherman and my dads family including him are alaskan crab fisherman. I usually work on the F/V cyclone which fishes brown red golden king crab, opilio crab, tanner crab, and she is a tender in the summer which means she buys the catch from the gillnetters and and delivers the salmon to the canneries. I am a third generation fisherman and I will probably all year round when im 18."

-- kosta bmore maryland




.
You know as Ron said he gets an A for effort but what he is doing and teaching runs the gamut from wrong to outright dangerous. It is a real shame that he does not have someone to really teach him.

Fred
__________________
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
SMeekWoodworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 612
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

I know Kosta on Twitter. He is a good kid who is learning. Slowly at times, but he is learning. He has come a long way since these were brought up on the FOG a couple years ago. He listens to other woodworkers advice on Twitter now, which is good.
I do wish he would remove some of his videos that show unsafe practices.
__________________
Scott Meek Woodworks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Wonderwino's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Posts: 2,892
Default Re: Incredible "Expertise" Available on the Internet

That's good to hear, Scott. Perhaps if he takes some of those down or edits them to illustrate what he has learned not to do, that would be good.
__________________
Water separates the people of the world; wine unites them.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 AM.