talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Default Veritas large shoulder plane info requested

In all the years I've been working wood I have never owned a shoulder plane, always made do with a Record Bullnose plane and a Stanley Carriage Makers Rabbet plane No 10. I am now fed up with making do!
The large Veritas shoulder plane has caught my eye but is it any better than the more traditional styled planes like the Lie-Nielson No. 073?

Price wise there is little between them to be a sales point, I don't mind paying more for good tools, my nearest stockist has both LN and Veritas planes in stock plus their own make shoulder plane at one third the price of the LN (which I am not even considering!)

Anyone used both types or can offer feedback on them? I can lay hands on them at the dealers but not actually use them, sometime next week, so any adde advice would be most welcome.

Thanks, Rob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Veritas large shoulder plane info requested

While I have the Bridge City HP-7 shoulder plane, if I were choosing between the LN and LV, I'd choose the LV. I find it much easier to hold and use - they've really thought through the ergonomics of it. The LN is more traditional. But why bother with tradition if there's a better way to do it?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks Poto, I tend to go with tradition in most things on the grounds that it is tried and tested, but the LV one just has something about it!

Comfort in the hand is always a big selling point for me, my T15 was only seconds in my hand before my wallet was out.

Ease of use is the one thing I would not find out until after purchase so it is nice to hear a positive report on that matter.

Rob.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Definitely agree with Poto. LN makes exact duplicates of the Stanleys, but Veritas has the audacious notion that maybe there can be some improvements. The handle that flips to the sides being one and being able to convert it to a chisel plane another.

I wanted that plane, but got a good deal on the LN medium shoulder. I've since gotten the HP-7 and love it (it doesn't have the flip handles either but the finger divot is enough with its weight!)
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

The issue with me was not so much comfort in the hand - it's that you have to push the plane, and on the LN there's nothing to hold on to to push. It's all shiny smooth curved surfaces. The LV has that knob that sits in the crotch of your thumb, allowing you to actually push it. It just makes a lot more sense to me.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:45 AM

"the audacious notion that maybe there can be some improvements".

I like that! When tools were made in what people think of as "golden ages" folks lived about half as long as we do now. When their eyesight went, the game was often up.

Today's toolmakers will do well to put ergonomics at the top of the list. We may not work as intensely as the previous generations did but we'll work for many more decades.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGB View Post
In all the years I've been working wood I have never owned a shoulder plane, always made do with a Record Bullnose plane and a Stanley Carriage Makers Rabbet plane No 10. I am now fed up with making do!
The large Veritas shoulder plane has caught my eye but is it any better than the more traditional styled planes like the Lie-Nielson No. 073?

Price wise there is little between them to be a sales point, I don't mind paying more for good tools, my nearest stockist has both LN and Veritas planes in stock plus their own make shoulder plane at one third the price of the LN (which I am not even considering!)

Anyone used both types or can offer feedback on them? I can lay hands on them at the dealers but not actually use them, sometime next week, so any adde advice would be most welcome.

Thanks, Rob
Rob,

As Peter mentioned the LN shoulder plane is more traditional and to my mind more beautiful than the LV. However, I have had a very difficult time using the large LN without hurting my hand. I just cannot find a comfortable position for my hand. This is not true of the medium or small as both of them fit beautifully. Also as Peter mentioned if you can afford it the shoulder planes from Bridge City are absolutely fantastic. Good luck with it all.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Well chaps, I wangled an earlier trip out to my nearest dealer this morning

I am afraid I succombed to the temptation.

Apart from it nestling in my hand like a newborn pup the fine knurling on the brass adjustment screws are like grippy velvet.

and I'm a sucker for wooden handles on woodworking tools, the word empathy always comes to mind.

An added bonus was that they had to go look in the store room for one to show me and as it was marked up less than the current price I got it at the reduced rate. I am going in to work tomorrow to clean it and have a play try it out.
I did try the LN first but it was just as uncomfortable as the trad Record and Stanley counterparts I have been able to use in the past.
Oh! Fred I really like some of the designs of BC tools but do not have a dealer near me for a hands on experience, which is a must for tools that are to help me earn a living, so for me they are like looking at pictures of the Studley Tool Cabinet, something to aspire to.
Thanks for the feedback, Rob.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

You gotta love Veritas engineering!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Very nice, Rob, good choice.

There's nothing like playing working for the first time with a carefully chosen tool.