talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Veritas large shoulder plane info requested

I'm really glad that worked out so well for you, Rob, and I'm glad that we could help.

You're gonna kick yourself if you ever get a chance to try a BCTW shoulder plane. Whoa! Totally different experience. Too bad they don't make them any more.

Let us know how the playing working goes.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'm really glad that worked out so well for you, Rob, and I'm glad that we could help.

You're gonna kick yourself if you ever get a chance to try a BCTW shoulder plane. Whoa! Totally different experience. Too bad they don't make them any more.

They say on their website they do expect to make another run & will e-mail when they are taking orders again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Founding Member

Quote:

Rob,

That was a great catch by you on the Veritas. I will be very interested in hearing your thoughts once you have had the chance to work play with it. If you can get your hands on a Bridge City shoulder plane you will be shocked at the difference. So, get your hands on one already.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
If you can get your hands on a Bridge City shoulder plane you will be shocked at the difference. So, get your hands on one already.
Fred
(Of course they do require an occasional sharpening Fred. )

Since the theme here sounds like "woulda, coulda, shoulda" another excellent choice instead of a shoulder plane is the LN Rabbet Block plane -- it's 1-1/4" iron does a great job on normal scale tenons & shoulders in one pass width. Lie-Nielsen Toolworks USA | Rabbet Block Plane
Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Well I used it for real work today, easing some rebated panels to fit a door I'm making. I had to ease the toungue part of the panels and fettle some end grain shoulders.
I loosened off the rear knob and let it find the sweet spot while making the first few passes, then mid stroke locked it off. That way every time I picked it up again it was just right.
I found myself with a perfectly silly ( glad I was working alone or else I may have been sent off to the funny farm )
I do have one issue with the plane, not a huge one, just flippin expensive!
I looked at all my other planes that have done well by me over the last 20 something years and started thinking...... I wonder what the LN rabbet plane is like or the Holtey smoother or the Veritas......

Going to take a very cold shower now, Rob.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

I have to agree with Ron that the LN rabbet block plane is a sweet tool. I used one for some lap joints a few months ago, and it was definitely the perfect tool. It's great for wider fields (cheeks rather than shoulders). The combo of shoulder plane and rabbet block plane would cover almost every need.

Glad you got to use your plane. Isn't it fun!?!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 AM

Sorry that I am coming late to the party, but I finally got one of these babies, and have started putting it to good use. Trimming tenons the hard way (with chisels, sandpaper, files or rasps) is not all that much fun.

Pricey? Yes, it is. But I probably won't need or want to replace it in my lifetime. I got the brass knobs for it, as I noticed that they were an optional add-on.

And, now that the subject of planes if fresh on my mind, I actually made my first shooting board yesterday (out of necessity). It was the easiest way I could think of to take 1/8" off of a one inch long, 3/8" dowel. I will be doing a lot of that when I start producing my next run of writing desks, so the shooting board will definitely see some use in the near future.

Charles