talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Krenov Style Jack Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
Its not my sander. Im lucky to have a shop next to a couple of other cabinet shops.
Eiji,

I love the finish on Moby and understand that you sold him. Do you have an issue with mentioning your pricing? If so, would you mind PMing me with your price structure?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Eiji,

I love the finish on Moby and understand that you sold him. Do you have an issue with mentioning your pricing? If so, would you mind PMing me with your price structure?

Fred
Eiji, Ditto -- both moby and the minnow.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 AM

The Octopus smoother went for a trade. I get 100bf of 6/4 quilted maple pomele and he gets the smoother. I will probably toss in the ebony plane adjusting hammer for another 10bf.

I think I got a pretty good deal.

Id prefer not to sell the original Moby since she was my first, but will make more. They keep getting better and better anyway.

Here is a price list for the 2 planes and options

Octopus smoother- 195.00
available in Jatoba, Purpleheart, Olivewood (add 20.00)
pin and wedge are in wenge add 20.00 for ebony

Moby Dick Jack- 275.00
same options as above

Ebony plane hammer add 30.00 if purchasing a plane. If ordering 2 the hammer is free.

I can also make planes suited for a particular task or optimized for your favorite woods.

All planes ship finely tuned and include a razor sharp 3/16" thick hock iron. They will be ready to go out of the box.

Last edited by EijiFuller; 02-20-2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: It wasnt purfect
Old 02-20-2010, 05:15 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

How would you compare your plane(s) to the HNT Gordon? Obviously yours are way cheaper.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:29 AM

Terry makes some really nice planes but they dont fit the hand very well so they arent the most comfortable planes to use.

I prefer my planes over the HNT. The lack of comfort while using the HNT was what urged me to start making my own. Way more comfort and control. I want my tools to be an extension of my hands, if they dont feel good in my hands they make a poor extension. If they fit in my hands well and are comfortable to use I do better work with them.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:41 AM

That sounds like a good philosophy & approach to the design. What about bevel up vs. bevel down?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 AM

I prefer bevel down because you can keep the irons sharpened at their optimum angles which would depend on the steel. I think M2,HSS, HCS steels perform the best honed at 25 - 27 deg. A2 between 30 and 33.

Once you go past about 35 deg sharpening angle the edge blunts very quickly OTOH less than 24-23 deg the edge chips, folds or otherwise degrades very quickly as well. I use a bevel up low angle block plane (veritas apron plane). I use it to finely tune end grain cuts. It has a 12 deg bed angle and I have the A2 iron honed at 32.5(the longest lasting edge angle for me with this iron). combine the 32.5 and 12 deg bed angle and that is the same as a bevel up plane with a 44.5 deg bed angle. A 45 bed angle bevel down would function the same and a 40 deg bed angle might just sing thru that end grain. HMMMM Ive got another plane to build.

I dont think bevel up in wood planes would work as well as they do in metal planes due to the lower bed angles needed for bevel up planes.