talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re-Purposing an old Plane

Now that I have a few LN planes for the fine work, I have a couple of old bench planes that are no longer being used as such. I was thinking about recycling one of them by repurposing it at a Scrub Plane. This would involve regrinding the blade and chipbreaker to a curved edge. I figured for rough work, this might be a cost effective way to "add" to my arsenal of planes.

Has anyone done this? Any pointers other than keeping the metal temp down when regrinding? I think I'd call these planes about a #3 or #4.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Re-Purposing an old Plane

Alex,

You might want to pick up Chris Schwartz's new video "Handplane Basics". He demos sharpening what is esentially a scrub plane grind. There's also a UTube video on the Lie-Nielsen site that shows how to sharpen the scrub plane blade. Your idea should work just fine as long as you can open the throat up enough to clear the shavings. The only disadvantage that you'll have is that you probably have a wider blade (hench more pushing) than a traditional scrub.

Mike

Last edited by TahoeTwoBears; 01-26-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Alex,

You might want to pick up Chris Schwartz's new video "Handplane Basics". He demos sharpening what is esentially a scrub plane grind. There's also a UTube video on the Lie-Nielsen site that shows how to sharpen the scrub plane blade. Your idea should work just fine as long as you can open the throat up enough to clear the shavings. The only disadvantage that you'll have is that you probably have a wider blade (hench more pushing) than a traditional scrub.

Mike
Since the camber is yet to be ground Alex will have control over the amount of tooth in the wood so it won't necessarily be substantially different from a factory scrub plane.

The really old wood soled planes can easily be converted to scrub planes. The ones that are worn down aren't much good for anything else because the mouth is too open already.

I think Derek may have info on grinding camber on his web site. The shape doesn't have to be so particular anyway since it's essentially a plow.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

The one I am most likely to regrind is a "Corsair," made in USA. I am not sure of the vintage but it is probably over 50 years old. I bought it at an estate auction near here. I also got an unbranded medium shoulder plane in the deal - $10 for both

I also have my Dad's 1948 Craftsman, which has more sentimental value. He used it when working on his Palmer yacht; mahogany hull and teak decks, built in the 1930's. It is in fairly good condition, just a little surface rust.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

How did a mahogany hull rust?!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Oops, intended to add something constructive...

You shouldn't have to worry about the chip breaker; I know the Veritas scrub plane doesn't even have one. Couldn't verify that on the LN site since it's a profile mug shot.

Derek does indeed have a review of the Veritas scrub plane and it includes a number of dimensions you'll need to consider for regrinding. Certainly I've read before that people can open the mouth with a file relatively easily. But I haven't done it