talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Default Galoot Smoother II

Some of you may recall that a few years ago I built a BU infill smoother out of a Stanley #3. With all the various smoothers at my disposal, including some rather special and expensive planes, I often find myself returning time and again to this little smoother. It is simply wonderful and utterly reliable ...

The original article is here.

I managed to grab a couple of hours today for the workshop as Lynndy's rellies (Oz-speak for visiting family) decided to spend the day shopping (with Lynndy in tow).

I started work on the drawer for the armoire, and was smoothing down the front board ...

.. when I decided that it was time to make the modifications I had been thinking about for a couple of years.

I never liked the looks of the plane - too boxy.

And the 5/32” (about 4mm) thick blade, although 1 ” wide like the original #3, lacked the support of the #3's frog and so was a sloppy fit. And lastly, it was OK to hold, but not great.

I wanted a rounded profile, side set screws for the blade, and a more comfortable grip.

I finished it up just as I was called in for dinner. Tomorrow I will replace the screws in the lever cap (so don't give me a hard time about those!).
This is what I came up with.

Thanks for sharing this with me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited by derekcohen; 01-07-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Galoot Smoother II

That's really lovely, Derek. The wood piece looks a bit like the new Veritas block plane. Does that button for the lever cap screw sit on the metal piece that we used to be able to see (before the wood piece was installed)?

Very cool to take a plane like that and re-design it. Seriously pimped out.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM

Hi Poto

The levercap screw is pressing down on a brass (?) Oz $2 coin recessed into the Jarrah infill. I thought to use one with 2010, but they are not out as yet, so I used a 2009.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Derek,

When you first made these alterations did you need to re-flatten the sole with a blade in place and under tension? It would seem that changing the pressure points would cause some distortion. Is that correct? This is a very beautiful and creative modification, you have made a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Hi Greg

Yes, when I first built the plane, I lapped the sole with the blade tensioned.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM

I've put all the relevant bits and pieces in an article on my website. This includes updates and details of parts and construction.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...mootherII.html

Regards from Perth

Derek