talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 AM

Default Re: The largest curl off a plane I've ever seen.

That is amazing. I can't imagine how sharp that blade is to make that cut.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

You should have seen Gillian's jaw drop when I showed her that video! Worth the price of admission!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 AM

You're right Potosan.. Put a piece of Walnut or Oak in front of him, and it ain't gunna happen. These guy's make these planes just for the competitions, for the longest, thinnest cut. They spend weeks tuning up the blade and setting it in, just for one cut. Not my cuppa to be honest.
I've used Japanese hand planes, and I still say the western planes are waaay better. Japanese make good blades though (very skilled Blacksmiths). I could never get good results in hard woods with the Japanese planes I've used.

Cheers!
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

The wood must be like butter.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
The wood must be like butter.
....you know those karate demonstrations where they break boards.........wonder which way the grain is going........
Old 11-19-2009, 03:52 PM

It's almost certainly Port Orford Cedar, or another close relative. And yup - world's most cooperative planing wood by a long shot.

That still doesn't negate the amount of skill and sharpening needed to get a shaving of that sort. Flat is one thing, but to get a shaving that thin that holds together requires astonishing consistency across that edge...

I actually really like japanese planes - though I don't use them on harder woods than cherry as a general rule. But they really give you a sheen that's pretty unmatchable in a lot of woods...

(by the way, a plane of that size is going to cost closer to $10k then to $1)