talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Help me as I am hyperventilating!!!!!!

Absolutely incredible Fred, congratulations!
If there does happen to be anything on John's plane that you prefer feel free to swap it out. He won't notice until such time that he goes to use it...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Dan,

You are of course correct that mine is SOOOOOOO much better than John's. However in your case the issue is that Philip was trying to match the beauty and majesty of mine but alas failed and so is trying to cover up the mistakes on yours.

In all seriousnessone of the things that I love about Philip's work is that he makes each and every plane distinct from all of the rest. For instance one of the things that is not quite easily seen between mine and John's is that the sides on his plane are just slightly higher as well as a little longer and then the curve in the front and the back is slightly different as well. The front knob alone has three differences, the knobs that control the mouth are different, the lever cap, the knob on the adjuster thread is also different. The lever cap itself is also different which I just noticed. It is incredible that these two planes that look so similar are actually so different.

Fred

Congrats Fred! Two Marcou planes on the same kitchen table! Amazing

It is very interesting to see the differences in the two versions of the same model of plane. If you consider the several differences in the lever cap itself as only one then there are three changes in the picture of the lever cap alone.

The depth adjustment screws are different as are the mouth plate screws. The end of the lever cap fulcrum rod (?) is smaller where it penetrates the side of Fred's plane, as Peter pointed out. There is also a subtle difference in the front knob, or maybe it's only a difference in the sheen of the finish.

What else Fred?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Wow, very nice!
Question:
Where do the batteries go?
Will a CT mini be sufficient enough?

Don't tell me it's human powered:tigersmile:

Anyhow, it looks way too expensive
Old 10-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Congratulations Fred!!! Watching the "birth" of your plane has been one of the most interesting threads on the forum.

After seeing yours, John will probably need to order a better one, so you can just send his to me. I will adopt it and give it all the loving care and walnut it needs.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Looks like the rod that holds the lever cap is a different diameter on your two planes. Or at least the end of the rod that comes through the plane body sides looks different. I noticed that the mouth-adjusting knobs are different, as is the blade adjuster (both knob and... something else?). Curious how hard it is to see how different the lever caps are. That's quite a difference. How much does yours weigh?

Well, I don't want to brag but my lever caps weighs about 18 pounds. Okay maybe that is a tad high. Strangely, as I don't have anything to really weigh it, I am guessing but they feel very, very close to each other. I can say, however, that I am getting shavings that are so thin they make spider webs look thick.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 10-27-2009, 01:29 AM

Fred, if you ever want something else to feed the OCD, I would be happy to list for you all the neat little trinkets that would be welcome installed on my truck.
I am quite positive we can easily break 700 RWHP without resorting to nitrous.
Oh, and check your email hoss.

Yeah, yeah, that is a sinfully nice looking plane.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 AM

So, Fred, which part of the plane will you be adorning with precious stones?

I think a few rubies would look nice set into the top of the handle.

Charles
Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 AM

Ok wait a minute....

These are tools right??

And they're used to like... do work.... right??

So.....

Why are there no pictures of pretty wood shavings? Friggen pretty boys and their fancy toys... :p Go get that thing dirty already.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Congratulations, Fred! No more photos... we want VIDEO!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

hello fred, you are one lucky boy.
i am very happy for you. your new plane looks beautiful. i am sure it will bring a smile to your face every time you use it.
i am patiently waiting for mine, january 2010 seems like an eternity from now!
but i know it will be well worth the wait.

can you try a few tests for me?
can you try dropping it from a 6 foot ladder? is is still in one piece?
and while your at it, how does the blade cut through concrete?
obviously its a cordless version, i cant see the power cord!
how long do the batteries last?

take care of the plane and yourself mate!
regards, justin.