talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 01:47 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Help me as I am hyperventilating!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raney View Post
Hi Ron,

In practice, it's a difference you'd notice over time, but not something that's so obvious that most (if any) woodworkers could pick an A2 vs O1 blade purely by the length of time the blade lasts. Over time, though, you would start to realize that some blades tend to keep their edges longer. As for the type of woods one uses, I am not sure it's necessarily something that affects choice of metallurgy, though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that australian woodworkers, say, have a stronger tendency toward A2 for reasons of greater wood hardness.

As for the bevel angle, you're correct -- though in practice, I tend to grind almost everything to 30-ish degrees and not worry about it much beyond that. If one is using bevel-up oriented planes, bevel angle is much more critical, but I don't really use BU planes very much...
I suppose then you would also notice a (slight?) difference in the length of time spent sharpening and perhaps if using the Shapton stones how often they need to be flattened with a diamond stone.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Help me as I am hyperventilating!!!!!!

I flatten my Shaptons every time I use them. The diamond lapping plate takes so little off, I don't think I'll have to replace them in my lifetime (he said hopefully).

It probably takes longer to sharpen A2, but you don't have to do it as often. Given the time to set up the stones (admittedly not long) I'd still prefer to do it as seldom as possible.