talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Low budget performance

I had to knock down a cleat on a jig and grabbed my LN Block plane, but then noticed an old Stanley lying next to it in the drawer. I grabbed the Stanley instead figuring that I'd defer some sharpening on the LN.

After a few licks on the cleat I noticed that I'm getting nice "curlies". OK, it is pine but never the less. So I start backing off the blade, trying to see how thin I can go. I got down to where I could read a newspaper through the shavings. I can't remember when I sharpened this little puppy, and it doesn't have an adjustable throat but I still think that was pretty good performance.

Probably bought the thing for $20 about 10 years ago.
Attachment 2558Attachment 2559

Jay

Last edited by JayKnoll; 07-26-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Low budget performance

Uh oh....

Next you'll be thinking a $4 Xacto would make a pretty good marking knife
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I've got a similar little Stanley with an adjustable throat which I honed to 6000 on a Japanese water stone while I was working on the bar. I was very impressed with the performance, but I had to stop and "tune it in" every few minutes. I imagine the LN would hold a setup better.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKnoll View Post
I had to knock down a cleat on a jig and grabbed my LN Block plane, but then noticed an old Stanley lying next to it in the drawer. I grabbed the Stanley instead figuring that I'd defer some sharpening on the LN.

After a few licks on the cleat I noticed that I'm getting nice "curlies". OK, it is pine but never the less. So I start backing off the blade, trying to see how thin I can go. I got down to where I could read a newspaper through the shavings. I can't remember when I sharpened this little puppy, and it doesn't have an adjustable throat but I still think that was pretty good performance.

Attachment 2558Attachment 2559

Jay
Jay,

Lie-Nielsen thinks so much of the old Stanley planes that they have copied the basic style of many of them. They just added a few cosmetic upgrade touches and some modern technology to make them perform even better.

I'm glad you are happy.

Neill
Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKnoll View Post

We were in a Chris Schwarz class at WIA, and he said for a lot plane work the cheaper brands are just as good. But, for a smoother in particular, top quality really makes a big difference.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
We were in a Chris Schwarz class at WIA, and he said for a lot plane work the cheaper brands are just as good. But, for a smoother in particular, top quality really makes a big difference.
Roughing in particular.

Just because the old Stanley planes were mass produced doesn't make them all bad. There was still some hand work involved in their production and sometimes a great one slipped by. A lot of mediocre ones can be tuned into fine fettle.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:58 AM

That's right. Up until recently, all I have ever used was old Stanley planes, and they aren't bad. Sharp blade and flat sole, and they will make fine shaving I was lucky enough to get Veritas bevel up planes, and they are nice but I still like picking up the old Baileys

Having said that, I'm not much of a fine tool user. My favourite chisels are my old Marples blue handle chisels. People laugh at them, but I rarely use anything else. I do all my joinery/dovetailing with them. I have a couple of Japanese chisels, but don't use them much.
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

I read a great quote from Sam Maloof in his "Woodworker" book (page 69):

"When young woodworkers ask me what tools they should buy, I always recommend the very finest even if they only buy one at a time. I tell them, 'Purchase a tool that feels good in your hand.'"
Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
That's right. Up until recently, all I have ever used was old Stanley planes, and they aren't bad. Sharp blade and flat sole, and they will make fine shaving I was lucky enough to get Veritas bevel up planes, and they are nice but I still like picking up the old Baileys

Having said that, I'm not much of a fine tool user. My favourite chisels are my old Marples blue handle chisels. People laugh at them, but I rarely use anything else. I do all my joinery/dovetailing with them. I have a couple of Japanese chisels, but don't use them much.
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:

Okami,
Are you trying to shatter all of these fine peoples dreams by saying it doesn't mater what the tool is, It's the quality of the user is more important ?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:54 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post
Okami,
Are you trying to shatter all of these fine peoples dreams by saying it doesn't mater what the tool is, It's the quality of the user is more important ?
The more that I learn about the craft the more that I realize that is absolutely very true. It almost seems to be inversely proportionate here.