talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:21 AM

Default Microplanes

Hi,

I was on the verge of getting some better rasps and I thought maybe I would try Microplanes.

Pros - Cons?

Are the ones sold in kitchen stores the same as the woodworking ones ( I think so)?

How about length? Shape? Coarseness?

Yup, I saw this thread too they look niiice. Auriou Rasps

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 04-19-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Microplanes

I have a bunch of microplane rasps. I love them! I have the long-handled one that allows you to change blades (curved, square, coarse, fine, etc.), and a couple of the ones you can chuck in your drill press.

The kitchen ones often have a plastic frame holding the blade, and it's not as robust as the woodworking frames. Mine broke. I'd go for the woodworking one, as it's designed for that task.

I'd say they're the best value for that type of tool that I've found.

And they complement the Auriou rasps well - I use them both.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

I use them often. For certain jobs they work well. I also have one that fits on a hack saw frame.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Here is a pic of my kitchen Microplane.

Plastic frames? The only ones I see at the Microplane site Microplane Woodworking

have plastic frames.

The Classic series at Microplane says they were originally a woodworking tool. Did they change them for kitchen use?

Microplane being a brand- are there other brands of these worth considering?

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 04-19-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I have 2 or 3 versions similar to your picture that I use in the kitchen. My guess is they use the same stainless steel alloy for shop versions.
The one I have in the shop has a glass filled nylon handle.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 PM

Hi,

I tried the one pictured above on pine then hard maple. Had to find out. Seemed to work fine, no signs of damage to the Microplane.

I think one advantage to the interchangeable , snap in blade version is that you can reverse the direction of cut.

The ones sold in the kitchen category cut on the pull stroke. The non-changeable blade models in woodworking cut on the push stroke (like a rasp).

Poto, is easy to swap the blades on the changeable one?

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 04-20-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Changing blades is very easy. They suggest using something like a leather glove to protect your fingers, but I just use my bare finger (and I have very soft fingers - no calluses). I usually have 2 or 3 blades sitting on my workbench when I'm shaping things, and it takes just a few seconds to swap them out.

These things are so cheap, I wouldn't think twice about getting one (some?). You're going to like them.

The only thing I've found that I don't like is that the tip can gouge the work if you're not careful. But that's true of any file or rasp, I suppose. The problem is that the tip is not tapered on these, and can catch easily.

They do leave ridges and grooves in the wood, which you'll need to get rid of. I use them for coarse shaping, and then use my Auriou to get a smoother finish, followed by the RS400 sander.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM

I just ordered an Auriou rasp and it should be arriving today.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...

Last edited by wnagle; 04-20-2009 at 08:10 PM.