talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 AM

Default Re: I'm not planeless anymore...

Perhaps we could sign him up for a course with this guy

Dan Clermont
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to charimon

I just posted a msg to the young man on his site inviting him to come by. TOF has a thread where they started really bashing him til someone did a lil research on him. Please tell me this is a joke: How to use a hand plane I think that if he does drop in we should help him in any way we can.

Thanks Craig

Last edited by charimon; 04-06-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spell check dosnt get everything heheh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

What a nice idea, Craig. I'm sure we all have something to offer each other.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:07 AM

I would hire that kid in a heart beat!

A few days ago I read that post over there, and my first thought was: shame on you guys for making fun of him, he is just a kid.

Mirko
Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charimon View Post

I just posted a msg to the young man on his site inviting him to come by. TOF has a thread where they started really bashing him til someone did a lil research on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
I would hire that kid in a heart beat!

A few days ago I read that post over there, and my first thought was: shame on you guys for making fun of him, he is just a kid.

In my opinion, this is a case of compassion versus reality. Certainly we can empathize with the rough time this kid has had in his young life. And his efforts to get on the right path in life are admirable. But on the other hand, that does not give him the right to broadcast misinformed and often dangerous information on the Internet.

I've had my share of apprentices, and the hardest thing to overcome with any young man is how quickly they will begin to think they know it all (yes, I was once one of them too ), because they then will stop listening. If you can get them to understand how little they know compared to how much there is to know, the real learning process will begin. Unfortunately, I've had many young guys I could never get to that stage. That's always such a shame.

The most valuable thing anyone could do for this kid is to get him to understand that he should stop wasting time making tutorials on subjects he obviously knows little about, and spend that time studying the true experts.

Nobody gets to jump all the way from apprentice to master without years of studying and experience. That's just the way it is. It may not be what he wants to hear, but accepting it could make a big difference in his life.

Last edited by joraft; 04-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to charimon

Well i think the "demos" speak for them selves, he is not putting himself out as a master. He is sharing what he knows, most likely to just a few buddies (and us) remember posting is free. No one has to watch and i am sure that until he provides valuable insight on the subject the view list will be small. for that matter he could be doing something awesome and the view list still be small.

I am of a slightly different mind concerning his documentation of his hobby. And i am not denying that he should study, and i left him this message

"Hey I just wanted to let you know that you have come to the Attention of the Festool world. starting in talkfestool I'm not planeless anymore... and then in the Festoolownersgroup http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=6704.0 you have sparked much discussion.
As you can see there are some jokes about how "unsafe" or "unskilled" you are but there are those of us who think you have great potential. Dont get angry at those who deride you. listen to their comments and learn from them. Keep it up and don't be afraid to drop in and say HI. and feel free to ask any questions you will find good men on both forums willing to spend time to give good advise. We all had to start out some time. I applaud your determination to become a craftsman.

Thanks Craig "

Should he become a "Master" the fact that his progress is fully documented through the years will have great value in it self. And if he doesn't get better he will quit soon enough

Thanks Craig

Last edited by charimon; 04-07-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: trying to learn how to imbed video
Old 04-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charimon View Post

Well I think the "demos" speak for them selves, he is not putting himself out as a master. He is sharing what he knows, most likely to just a few buddies (and us) remember posting is free. No one has to watch and i am sure that until he provides valuable insight on the subject the view list will be small.
Craig, I can tell that you are a very kind and compassionate person, I respect and admire that. But there's no way this stuff will be limited to a few of his buddies. This is the age of the Internet and Google searches. Anyone looking for advice on a particular subject obviously wouldn't know that this kid doesn't know what he's talking about, and that can be harmful. And he does present himself as somewhat knowledgeable, if not a "master".

Since the Internet has no control or requirements of expertise, anyone who puts information out there has a greater personal responsibility for its accuracy. I think the great irony of the "information age" is that there's more of it, but it has become so much less reliable.

Craig you got involved in this for the best of reasons, I think you're one of the good guys. But do maintain your objectivity.