talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools > Hand Planes

Hand Planes Dedicated to the galoot's favorite tool - the hand plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: I'm not planeless anymore...

Hi Bob,

I don't have the Stanley 80, but I do have the Veritas scraper holder (Veritas® Scraper Holder - Lee Valley Tools) that does some of the same things. Works pretty well.

But thanks for the advice - I'll see if I can't find the Stanley, and give it a whirl!

Poto
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Founding Member

Poetoertosanta,

Hmmm, let me see, you and Sharon have been married for upward of an eternity. You have the most precious and precocious child in Gillian. Ergo I would say at this point one night on the couch sleeping with your number 4 is warranted. :460::460: I think that Sharon will also see the absolute logic in this argument. :anim_63:

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 AM

The LN Bronze #4 is an excellent plane!!! Lots of weight.

You should try the LN Block plane sometime in the near future

Dan Clermont
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Fred. I'm worried that the plane might tear the fabric (of the sofa - not our marriage). On the other hand, I've been using it quite a bit to plane the laminations that I've made, and it works a treat! I'm getting pretty good at sharpening it, and getting those lovely long curls out of it that you'd hope for.

Dan, I'm torn between the LN low-angle block plane, and the LV version. I kind of like the LV version, as it has a few more finger holds (don't know if this makes a difference), and it has the capability of adding the tote and ball to make it into a small bench plane. I've tried some of the LN planes, and I find they feel really big in my hands. I have reasonably small hands (goes with the rest of me), and when I tried the medium shoulder plane, I could hardly get my fingers down to the body of the plane. The lever arm stuck up so high. I haven't tried the LV version, but it looks like it might fit my hand better.

There's a store near me (Craftsman Studio) that has all the LN planes in stock, so I think I'll head over there and try some out.

I'm also thinking of the LN chisel plane, as I'm going to be cleaning up dowels and glue a lot. Has anyone used this plane?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

So I spent a bit of time this afternoon trying out the Lie-Nielsen planes. I tried the low-angle block plane with the adjustable mouth, the low-angle block plane with the fixed mouth, the large and small scraper planes, and the small chisel plane. I wasn't thrilled with any of them (they're amazing tools, but just a bit more than I wanted to spend).

So after I got home, I spent some time looking through the Lee Valley catalog, and ended up ordering the low-angle block plane with adjustable mouth, and the large scraper plane. I decided on the LV scraper plane over the LN one because it allows you to bow the scraper if you want. Otherwise, they're pretty similar (though the LV is considerably less expensive). I also got the A2 blade for the scraper, so it could be basically identical to the LN.

I liked the LV block plane because it allows lateral adjustment of the blade, and you can get a tote and ball for it and use it like a bench plane. Might be a good size for Gillian some day. I didn't get the tote and ball, so that gives me something to look forward to!

The planes should arrive early next week. I have about 40 board feet of highly figured cherry to work on (for the bed I'm building) so I think the scraper plane might be just the ticket. If I can get it working!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 AM

Good choices I think Potosan

Although the LN Block looks prettier, I believe the LV is a better deal, and more versatile:stongue: What blade did You choose for it?
I've never had a scraper plane, I'd like to hear what You think of it
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

I got the A2 blade with the block plane (and the scraper plane) Okamisan. Partly to force myself to learn to sharpen well. I got a nice microbevel on the blade of my LN #4, so I think I'm on the right track...

I'll let you know how the scraper plane works out. I gather it's a bit fussy, but I'm willing to work at it!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 AM

Most of my planes are LN, well I have only one LV.
The main difference for me is the LN has a thicker blade and it feels more real (I cannot find the right word). The LV is a 4 1/2 and I decided to keep using it even I am not satisfied with it.

It is more versatile, you can adjust the mouth in a different way than the LN and It is suppose to be better but, I don't know for me LN is better.

I have a #7 LN, 2 block planes LN, Jack Plane LN, Scrub Plane LN and the LV 4 1/2. I am thinking to get the low angle Jack Plane LN.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Founding Member

Fidelfs,

I could not agree with you more. To me the LN planes just feel right in my hands. But there are many like Peter who find the LV planes that way for them as well. They are mostly losers but let's just keep that to ourselves.

I have the LN 4 1/2 Smoother and used it the last two days. It is the most awesome plane and just leaves an incredible feel on the wood when you are finished. It took me a little bit several years ago to figure out what I was doing incorrectly with the amoother as I was leaving plane marks. At that point I did not realize you had to slightly round the two edges of the blade. Man, I felt like an idiot. I was sitting there thinking, what a rip off I use the plane and then have to sand. Why not just sand to begin with. Now I am just a partial idiot and feel MUCH better for it.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Fred. You'll always be a full idiot in my book!

And truth be told, I haven't actually used the LV planes yet. Only the LN ones. They felt great, but didn't have all the features I wanted. I'm hoping that the LV ones feel as good ... I'll let you all know. Hope it's not a big disappointment!