talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > General Woodworking Q & A

General Woodworking Q & A Had a tip to share or a general question to ask? This is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 AM

Default Bronze or SS Hardware

I am going to make a couple Adirondack chairs in Heart Redwood. I have a choice of using Bronze or SS hardware. I am leaning towards Bronze but am looking for input..... GO

Thanks

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Bronze or SS Hardware

Mark,
Are these to be exposed to the elements all of the time?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 PM

Most of the time on a covered porch, as you know a dry climate.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I'd vote for the bronze.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM

I've used both for exterior projects. The Bronze hardware that I've bought is rated for Marine usage, but I don't know enough about that to say what spec or specs are your optimum or even 'good enough'....
You'll be fine with the Bronze, and it DOES offer a different color than plain stainless steel to a project, so sometimes I use it purely for that different color if the screws are going to show.
I buy from Jamestown Distributors, Mc-Master Carr, and previously, from McFeelys. Everyone's offerings seem to have held up really well here in Chicago.
More thoughts you probably didn't want to hear...
If it's Stainless, you are generally offered T304, or T316. T316 will hold up to a Salt water install usually. There are also other grades of Stainless Steel fasteners that aren't from the 300 series of stainless steel and are sold everywhere with many people thinking they're buying T304 when it's not... They work for exterior usage pretty well, and are often able to be heat treated for a tougher screw, but aren't rated the same as the 300 Series .
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 PM

Mark, I've made skads of these chairs and I use SS hardware. I get them from McMaster Carr and no complaints about quality. I've never considered using bronze but now I'm intrigued. This run is made out of miranti wood which is a similar color to redwood. Have fun!!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 PM

Jim, that wood is beautiful.

I think I am leaning towards Bronze just for the different color. I have also found SS to be only so so if not ordered to a 300 series spec.