talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > General Woodworking Q & A

General Woodworking Q & A Had a tip to share or a general question to ask? This is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Cutting aluminum with a TS55

I have some anodized aluminum extrusion - the largest piece is 2.5" by 3/4" - that I would like to cut.

Can I use my TS55 for this? Is there anything special I should do with the speed or blade type? Can I use my regular (universal?) blade?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Cutting aluminum with a TS55

I use a combination blade to cut aluminum on my table saw. Make sure everything is clamped well and you wear face protection. Also be careful of hot metal and saw dust.

- Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 AM

Can't claim to have done it, but I believe the recommendation would be slow the saw speed down, take the cut slow, and use the NFM cutting blade which will have a negative rake on the teeth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM

Randy is right. Negative rake is key. Festool item 496307 is the right blade.

I cut 8020 aluminum on my Kapex with the similar -5 deg rake Aluminum blade and it works well.

Wear hearing protection as metal cutting has a piercing sound.

Neil
Old 12-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks so much, gentlemen! I'll let you know how it goes. I'm trying to make a new specialized fence system for my JMP...
Old 12-22-2012, 04:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Peter,

If you start to run into trouble with the metal work, there's a retired machinist with a small shop near mine. I've had him do a couple of things and he's been more than reasonable. I was going to see if he can change out the miter bar on my Kreg miter gauge for me. If you need more info, let me know.

Mike
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Thanks so much, gentlemen! I'll let you know how it goes. I'm trying to make a new specialized fence system for my JMP...
Hey Peter,

If your going to be up in the area (Christmas Caroling?) I just happen to have the aluminum blade in my Kapex at the moment. Your welcome to camp out here. (I've been cutting aluminum vent strips for my guesthouse remodel)

Either on the TS55 or the Kapex I always use the blade specific for the task.
(esp with the rake change on the metal blades) Also I tend to use the slower speeds. You'll want to be sure that after your done u vacuum and blow out your work area well (as well as the saw) Those metal shavings could impale themselves into the next wood cutting moment.

Merry Christmas!
roger
Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike and Roger! I'll keep your machinist in mind, Mike. Usually I can get things done at Scripps, but sometimes they're too busy.

Roger, I'd love to camp out in your shop. The problem is, I'd never leave!

Thanks for the great advice. I'll see whether anyone in town has that blade in stock. I doubt it...
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

TH&H might surprise you.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Peter,

Here's a video of ChrisM cutting aluminum on his Kapex with the Festool non-ferrous metal cutting blade: