talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > General Woodworking Q & A

General Woodworking Q & A Had a tip to share or a general question to ask? This is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Liquid hide glue

Has anyone used liquid hide glue on dovetails, for say a cabinet?
What attracts me is the ease of use, straight from the bottle, longer open time (essential for dovetailed cabinets) and water clean up.
Also, how good is it with exotic woods?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Liquid hide glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Has anyone used liquid hide glue on dovetails, for say a cabinet?
What attracts me is the ease of use, straight from the bottle, longer open time (essential for dovetailed cabinets) and water clean up.
Also, how good is it with exotic woods?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
Cheers!
Hi Okami san,
I have used liquid hide glue on a number of projects, with good results. I haven't used it for dovetails, but see no reason why it shouldn't work.

The only concern is that its shelf life is short (about a year) and somewhat unpredictable, depending on moisture, temperature, etc. Franklin, the maker of the Titebond series, prints the manufacture date uncoded on the bottle for that reason.

By the way, the code for manufacture dates on other Franklin products is to find the ten digit number printed near the top of the bottle. The first character is a letter of the English alphabet (A, B, C...) which tells which month it was manufactured A for January, B for February, etc. They skip the letter I because it looks like a 1. The next character is a number which is the last digit in the year it was manufactured, so 0 is 2010, 1 is 2011, 2 is 2012, etc. The remaining 8 characters refer to batch numbers, production lines, etc - probably not useful to customers.

My philosophy is that glue is cheap compared to your labor, your lumber, and the value of your reputation with customers. If there is any doubt, I throw it out.

Hopefully, there are Japanese liquid hide glues with better shelf life.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Most folks I know that are into hide glues, like Patrick's glue better than any other:

Old Brown Glue

I haven't used it personally, but know a lot of people that swear by it.

Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Definitely check out the expiration date. I once made a day bed for a couple on which the hubby would take afternoon naps. Came time to attach the inner cleats that the bed slats rested on and there weren't enough of the type of fastener needed, so I just glued the cleats to the rails. Plenty of good long grain to long grain, all planed smooth, tight fit, etc., no problem. I mean, if we can't rely on glue joints like that to hold up, civilization will soon come apart, right?

Since I was using hide glue I gave it a full 2 days to cure before delivering the bed one morning. That afternoon I got a call from them. On his first nap, the mattress fell through to the floor! I immediately went to the glue bottle: six months past expiration date.

After procuring more fasteners I went and repaired the rails. The job was salvaged, and my standing with the clients, when I made the comment "When you make a new bed, ya gotta screw!" Hubby was a member of the Henry Miller fan club and had all his books on a nearby bookshelf, so I figured my comment would go over.
Attached Thumbnails
liquid-hide-glue-r-s-oak-day-bed-frame.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Most folks I know that are into hide glues, like Patrick's glue better than any other:

Old Brown Glue

I haven't used it personally, but know a lot of people that swear by it.

Mike
Okami,

As Mike pointed out here the Old Brown Glue is a great glue. I have used both the Franklin and Patrick's. However, unlike Patrick's you do not have to heat up Franklin's liquid Hide glue. With Patrick's you absolutely have to or you are going to kill yourself trying to squeeze the glue out. DAMHINT However, if you have a glue pot or even just a sink filled with hot water you can use Patrick's easily and I do like it much better than Franklin's. With the glue pot I just took the top off of Patrick's and placed the bottle in and after it heated up for a bit the glue started to flow. I know that it sounds like a pain but I think that you will find that it is quite easy.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 AM

Thanks everyone

The only liquid hide glue I'm able to find here is Tightbond.
I bought some, the expiry date is November 2012. I've heard that keeping it in the fridge is a good way to keep it in peak condition, is this correct?
Cheers!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 AM

As to the "Art & Practice" of using Hide Glue Stephen Shepard's book Hide Glue: Historical & Practical Applications at Tools For Working Wood is a must have for your bookshelf.

Side bar,,,,, the information is all there - one just has to read through his very reverent view of Hide Glue as being the end all of all things that pertain to gluing. I have the book and when the urge comes I read through it from time to time. Soon I'll be ordering a glue pot and at that time my reading will perk up.

(,,,,,and no I have never used the liquid version.)
Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 AM

Keep liquid hide glue in the fridge? I don't know. I know people who swear on both sides of this issue. The idea may come from users of regular hide glue which will start to decompose quickly after you mix it and it requires refrigeration if kept more than a day or two.

Titebond's web page:
Titebond - Product

says it must be applied at warmer than 50 degrees fahrenheit. The open times and assembly times are quoted for 70 degrees, probably the optimal temp. So be sure to bring it to room temperature before you use it.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Speaking theoretically, heat will also affect viscosity.

So, knowing how fine Okami's dovetails fit he might want to warm the glue up to 80 F.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 AM

I glued a sample piece of walnut yesterday evening. This morning the glue isn't hard like other wood glues, I can press my finger nail into it. It's kind of soft and rubbery. Having not used this glue before, I don't know whether this is normal, and its dry, or I have a failure...? The glues expiry date is the end of November.
Any advice?
Cheers!