talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > General Woodworking Q & A

General Woodworking Q & A Had a tip to share or a general question to ask? This is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Liquid hide glue

fail. Pitch the bottle.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks randy!
Thought it couldn't be right, but had to ask since there's almost 6 months left before it expires... That expiry date ain't worth much eh...
I'm thankful I did a test glue up before I went ahead with the real deal
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:23 PM

After reading Mr. Schwarz' PW article - Feb 2017 "The Best Glue for Furniture?" it appears that liquid hide glue is almost always preferable. I have not tried it, and am hesitant to use my current project as a guinea pig.

For instances when long set up time is important, I have successfully used Titebond Extend. Hide glue seems finicky, overly subject to temperature and humidity changes, shelf life issues, and frankly, not worth the trouble.

However, I am interested in his claim that hide glue is transparent to finishes - maybe none of you experts ever have sneaky bits of glue in the corner of a joint that messes up the finish, but I have.

The extended open time and the ability to disassemble a joint are not enough to make me interested in complicating my life by dealing with the details of using hide glue, but finish transparency would be nice. Anyone have any experience or opinion here?

The Franklin International technical guys say that HIde Glue and Titebond Extend are both water based, but Hide Glue is a bit easier to clean up - they also say that "no glue is stainable", which is contrary to Schwarz' experience that Hide Glue is transparent to finishes. Titebond Extend has a much lower acceptable application temperature and is not susceptible to high temperature and humidity problems, apparently, making it seem to be preferable for use in a wide range of operating conditions. Since the size-challenged nature of my workcloset has me woodworking al fresco at times, that seems to be a huge advantage.

Last edited by Paul; 01-18-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

I also read that article, Paul, and was intrigued. I've never used hide glue, but would be interested in trying it on at least a test piece.

And if it make you feel any better, I don't think I've ever made anything that didn't have some glue squeeze out somewhere on it. And it annoys me every time!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM

I haven't used it for general joinery, but it is a pure joy for veneer work or anything where exact placement is critical. Great for patching mistakes. Just apply a little heat (iron or hair dryer) and it lifts right off - can do this up to 4 times.

A glue pot makes it really easy.

I'm also skeptical of the "transparent to finishes" claim.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:42 AM

I use Titebond liquid hide glue for everything other than where moisture is involved. Dovetails are great as the glue has more open time and also lubricates, making the part slide together more easily (my dovetails are a tight fit )

The current project is replacing the kitchen doors (which are raised panels) with a simpler, more modern Shaker-style ...

The Titebond hide glue was used on the joints (in this case, Dominos), which the two parts to the panel where glued with Titebond lll.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM

Nice projects as always Derek, thanks for the message.

Do you find that hide glue is transparent to finishes?

Have you compared the use of hide glue to Titebond Extend formulation?
Old 01-28-2017, 03:57 AM

I'm with you Paul, I 'almost' try Hide Glue on some new project, but chicken out and revert to my regular Titebond assortment....